Unsporting strategy ? - you deceide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unsporting strategy ? - you deceide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unsporting strategy ? - you deceide

Postby Stubo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:36 am

Reading a post below about hogging Rp's has led me to post this question.
I have a yahoo league (rotis) with the following pitching catagories W,SV,HR,BB,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP now due to my lack of knowledge (2nd year of fantasy baseball and not having herad of A-Rod until 14 months ago) i always look for loopholes, edges etc that i can use without the basic baseball knowledge.
I also had bad experiences with Sp's last year so I have
Batista
Hermanson
Lidge
Nathan
Crain
Mota
wuertz
wagner
pollitte
Borowski (DL)
As you can imagine I am winning all catagories bar wins and k's so 74 out of 96 pitching points as it stands. I also have batting of
Inge
Nevin
Figgins
Crede
Tejada
Lane
Kotsay
Encarnation
A-Rod
Uribe
Casey
Crisp
Thomas (DL)

putting me 29 points clear at the top of the league.

BUT is my strategy UNsporting?
Also sorry for the long post.
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:41 am

As far as I can tell, no. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong w/ having tons of relievers (or, conversely, having all SPs). People tend to get a bit touchy about closers b/c they're more scarce of course but, e.g., if one guy has tons of closers in a 5X5 some good some crap I have to laugh b/c he will blow everyone out in saves but suffer elsewhere (it's like having Juan Pierre, Podsednik, etc.), in your case you are doing great and I can't possibly think of what you're doing wrong, though depending on the nature of the league I could see people maybe giving you a bit of a hard time.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:46 am

Some leagues have a minimum number of Innings Pitched that your team must reach in order to qualify for points in the ratio categories ERA and WHIP. So you have to watch to make sure you get your innings in.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Stubo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:57 am

No one has said anything yet, and there are no minimums - I assume as it is Rottis not weekly H2H,

Although I did do the same in a H2h league as well they had W,S,K,ERA,WHIP as pitching catagories with 5 sp slots, 3 rp and 2 p so 10 in total min innings was 15 per week (at draft)
I picked up Gagne,Lidge,Rivera,Kolb,Benitez,Hermanson (in sp slot),
hoping i could win Saves,era and whip most weeks and having no wasted early sp draft picks getting me a better batting line up.

But the Commish changed the innings pitched to 25 (what a Hitler) without any discussion, that did cause an arguement and knackered my plan
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EK711 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:10 am

Stubo wrote:But the Commish changed the innings pitched to 25 (what a Hitler) without any discussion, that did cause an arguement and knackered my plan

Now THAT is unsporting. :-t
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Stubo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:52 am

EK,
That is what I thought, and he did get some stick. Also he changed the innings on the sunday night before the first week picks were set, which left me no time to pick anybody as a starting pitcher in time for the monday deadline. So no pitching points in week 1.

The real icing on the cake came when he offered me 2 very average sp's for Lidge and Rivera in a trade to help me out, cheeky git.

He also had a very heavily weighted sp draft, not the fairest commish ever it must be said.
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Unsporting strategy ? - you deceide

Postby ramble2 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:49 am

Stubo wrote:Reading a post below about hogging Rp's has led me to post this question.
I have a yahoo league (rotis) with the following pitching catagories W,SV,HR,BB,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP now due to my lack of knowledge (2nd year of fantasy baseball and not having herad of A-Rod until 14 months ago) i always look for loopholes, edges etc that i can use without the basic baseball knowledge.
I also had bad experiences with Sp's last year so I have
Batista
Hermanson
Lidge
Nathan
Crain
Mota
wuertz
wagner
pollitte
Borowski (DL)

It seems a little odd to me to have HR and BB as pitching categories without an IP minimum. That said, given the pitching categories, this seems like a very good strategy.

I'd run with it if I were you. And given your staff, you probably don't need to waste time on crappy closers. Solid holds/MR guys are going to be much more valuable to you at this point. If you can trade Wuertz to someone who thinks he might be closer for a decent MR I would do it.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby chris8 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:00 pm

Stubo wrote:EK,
That is what I thought, and he did get some stick. Also he changed the innings on the sunday night before the first week picks were set, which left me no time to pick anybody as a starting pitcher in time for the monday deadline. So no pitching points in week 1.

The real icing on the cake came when he offered me 2 very average sp's for Lidge and Rivera in a trade to help me out, cheeky git.

He also had a very heavily weighted sp draft, not the fairest commish ever it must be said.

That's shocking :-t :-t

You are playing by the rules, and I don't have any problem with your strategy. The commish set the league up badly to begin with, but having done so, he should not have made any changes without discussing them with the rest of the league.

For him to change the innings limit on the Sunday night is totally out of order. Don't ever play in a league with him again.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Dice » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:05 pm

Yes, sounds more like bad league design and leadership than anything else.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:20 pm

I wouldn't go down without a fight on him changing the SP limit right before the deadline. He basically did it to spite you, or I'm guessing that's why. I'd still do something about it, even if it's a couple weeks later.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers