Benitez injured. Whos next in line? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez injured. Whos next in line?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TownDrunk » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:54 pm

If you're really desperate for saves, then yes, pick up Brower. He's the only one in the pen who has the mentality for it, IMO. And I can't believe that Alou would be dumb enough to insert Herges back into that role.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:52 pm

Brower was used today in a non-save situation. It's either going to be CBC or Herges.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby GiantFan666 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:04 pm

TownDrunk wrote:Benitez was placed on the 15 day DL. Surprisingly, they called up Scott Munter from AAA. He looked pretty sharp in ST, but hasn't been overly-impressive so far this year in Fresno. My guess is Foppert would have gotten the nod if not for his blister problem.

Alou has indicated that it will be a CBC with Brower, Herges, and Fassero in the mix :-o :~(

I'd avoid, avoid, avoid any of these guys in fantasy leagues. The pen has stunk this year :-t

I was listening to the game today and Alou did say they were going to use Herges but then started to back off by saying they would use Fassero as well... and then went to ummmm we're just gonna take it day by day and play the match-ups :-o I'm hoping they have plenty of games like today where no closer is necessary or its gonna get ugly quick!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RawTalent » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:10 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Brower's appearance today as a count against him. It could just be Alou trying to get him used to coming in at the end of the game, or seeing what he's like coming in at the end of the game.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RawTalent » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:25 pm

This is getting very serious. If anyone out in SF can give us a clearer picture on whether it's Brower or Herges, it will make a huge difference, as Benitez is out FOUR months:

"San Francisco Giants closer Armando Benitez is expected to miss four months after tearing his hamstring while covering first base.

San Francisco placed Benitez on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after his injury, but trainer Stan Conte said the reliever would be out for much longer after an MRI revealed that he tore his right hamstring tendons.

"The tear is complete with two of the three tendons that attach to his pelvis," Conte said. "This will require surgery to repair. This will take four months until he's competitive again.""

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 648D86.DTL
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Thanks for the update!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby ravenmad22 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:09 am

I have to say that Herges sounds like the likely option here. Even though I completely dismissed him, the fact that he was the first pitcher to come to Felipe's head indicates to me he will give Herges the first crack.

God help the Giants. I'm super deperate for saves, so I picked up Herges today. Brower is more of a long man in that pen, he's even been used as a spot starter from time to time. I think the Giants would like to leave him in that role, and as lefties rarely get the job, that pretty much leaves Herges.

Bringing up Valdez or Aardsma seems unlikely as they are so young and have little ML experience.

If I was desperate for saves, I'd go get herges right now. If he somehow gets on a roll, he might save 23 games like last year.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:12 am

Don't be shocked to see Fassero in this mix as well. This is CBC city.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 am

ravenmad22 wrote:I have to say that Herges sounds like the likely option here. Even though I completely dismissed him, the fact that he was the first pitcher to come to Felipe's head indicates to me he will give Herges the first crack.

God help the Giants. I'm super deperate for saves, so I picked up Herges today. Brower is more of a long man in that pen, he's even been used as a spot starter from time to time. I think the Giants would like to leave him in that role, and as lefties rarely get the job, that pretty much leaves Herges.

Bringing up Valdez or Aardsma seems unlikely as they are so young and have little ML experience.

If I was desperate for saves, I'd go get herges right now. If he somehow gets on a roll, he might save 23 games like last year.

And Chacon your ERA and WHIP in the process. IF the Giants realy insist on using Herges, then fellow Benitez owners, we have to look elsewhere for saves. Herges is gasoline .

One league today: Schilling DL - Probably out a month or more
Benitez DL - Probably out most of the year.
Westbrook was active...oh my poor ERA...nice WW material now.

Ouch!
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers