What with BJ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What with BJ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What with BJ?

Postby ELsolly » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 am

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening with BJ Upton? This guy is touted as a 5 tool player but is not in the major leagues! I'm asking cause he's available in my league and I'm wondering if he's worth picking up and stashing
ELsolly
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 am

He has like an error per game in the minors right now. It doesn't really matter how well he continues hitting, because the only reason he was back in the minors to begin with is his shoddy glove. And that's really not getting better right now. I heard that he had like 3 errors in one game.

The interesting part is, that he has all of the tools to play shortstop, but he manages to make common errors at a much more frequent (to the point of being alarming) pace than other shortstops.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:00 am

BJ=DH?

I don't know what else they can do with him. RF maybe? It's becoming apparent that he just isn't a good SS.

I think it's time for them to start farting around a la Ankiel and pull the plug. Bring him up and let him do what he can do, which is hit.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:58 am

Yeah, what Warrick said. They are going to give him time to try and work through it, after all he is only 20. There have been a few short stretches that he has put together recently that are promising, but he will have to keep that up.

For example: 7 of his last 10 games have been errorless ... which is a very good improvement over having 8 errors in his first 9 games.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Surfs up » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:30 am

I pulled this from one of my sites this morning

Upton, SS/3B, Devil Rays. Remember all the preseason pundits
picking Upton as the fantasy Rookie of the Year? He has to get out of Triple-A first, and he is not any closer to doing that. He committed eight errors in his first nine games and now has 12 in 18 games. Manager Lou Piniella has no patience for bad defensive players. Upton is a long way from playing every day for the Rays.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Return to Baseball Leftovers