Should Smoltz be moved to closer?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Smoltz be moved to closer??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Smoltz be moved to closer??

Postby loophole21 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:59 pm

Kolb has an ERA of 8.00 and a k/bb ratio of .5. He was removed from the game today by Bobby Cox for a minor league call-up John Foster. A team that hopes to go deep into the playoffs cannot have a shaky closer situation. With a rotation that already features Hudson, Hampton, Horatio Ramirez and John Thompson, and a guy in Smoltz who is a proven dominant closer, dont you think he should close??
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomkatt » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 pm

I sure do miss him closing, but I just don't see it happening. They will probably try Reitsma there, then pursue a trade if that doesn't work.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:08 pm

I don't know if they should, but from what I know Smoltz didn't like closing much at all and was dying to become a SP again before this season.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DominicanLou » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Yes, I think he should close. It would be better for the team to have him as the closer rather than a starter. But, he would rather start. I don't know why he is obsessed with starting. Many players have switched positions later in their carreers and flourished.

Smoltz should also close because it is less taxing on his arm. The last thing the Braves need is for him to injure himself by throwing as a starter. Honestly, I think Cox needs to put some pressure on Smoltz to at least consider going back to the closer's role.

Also, I think that the braves would rather have Capellan back so they could groom him to be the closer of the future, than have Kolb right now.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Well, that begs the question for me...is Smoltz more valuable as a closer or as a starter??
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby loophole21 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:22 pm

mikemcj55 wrote:Well, that begs the question for me...is Smoltz more valuable as a closer or as a starter??

In fantasy I'd say he has more value as a closer. His average season in 2002-2004 was 47 saves, 81 K's, an ERA of 2.46 and a WHIP of 1.00. = pretty dominant stuff

In real life I'd say he has more value as a closer as well. He is almost automatic, which instills lots of confidence with his teammates, and effectively shortens the game to 8 innings.
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:24 pm

Wouldn't suprise me if Dotel was in ATL before the year was over. He's an option and so is Brazoban.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Randy Watson » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:25 pm

It would be awfully hard for the Braves to move Smoltz to the bullpen after the start he has had. While a quality closer has value, dominant starters are few and far between.
"Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit!"
Randy Watson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:29 pm

Smoltz's pitching is the reason they were in line for the win today in the first place. ;-) I think his place is as a starter. Bullpen arms can be found. Good starters, not so much. And starting is less stressful on his arm.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:30 pm

dotel to atlanta doesn't sound that unreasonable if it comes to that.... and we know bean and shurholtz don't mind dealing with eachother.

but honestly, i don't think the braves are worried about their post-season closer situation ATM. i think they'll give kolb a few more weeks before they do anything drastic. i mean, it could just be a run of bad luck. i mean, we're talking about dotel as a possible upgrade, and he had a similar rough patch at the beginning of last season for the astros and rebounded just fine. so it's really not time to panick yet.

and i'm not sure why kolb's K/BB ratio was brought up. he's never been much of a "K" guy. (true, not much of a "BB" guy, either, but still....)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers