Draft/Auction Software - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft/Auction Software

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft/Auction Software

Postby mkoss » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:50 pm

Hi. Has anyone used any draft/auction software? I've been looking at John Benson's software and I am considering buying it. Anyone know if it's any good?
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:54 pm

How exactly does that work?

Can you do mock drafts by yourself against 11 other "CPU" users? Also, yahoo has a java applet that runs when you draft is it kind of like that?
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mkoss » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 pm

No, not like that, you use it during your actual draft/auction. You can pull up all kinds of details about major league teams and their rosters, depth charts, player details. It also has projections and dollar values for each player. As a player is taken it will automatically track each team's needs (like, I still need a SS and MI and there are only 7 players left that qualify), updates the projected standings so you can see what categories you are falling behind in, etc. It seems pretty cool, actually.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:07 pm

i'd like to have all those features and then add the ability to do Mock drafts against a real sharp artificial intelligence. That would rock. I could do 100 drafts in one week.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mkoss » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:12 pm

I think it would be cool to create a mock draft/auction application. You're a software engineer too, right? Maybe we could work on something after the projections algorithm is well underway. What languages do you know?
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:15 pm

I mainly use VB 6.0 and VB.NET

with Access or Sql Server in the back end.

I created an application that would calculate points earned in football based on stats and the way the league rules were set. It helped me to win that league this year.

I'm thinking of doing that again with baseball but I just don't have time to do any data entry. I don't know where i'd get the stats from.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby arkman » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:41 pm

I know you've already checked out my database mkoss, but that's pretty much what it's for. Lot's of that stuff is included.

I too would be interested in contributing to a software package that could do this. There really isn't very much out there. By the way....I'm a software developer as well...VB6...Access...MS-SQL...PHP...MYSQL...etc...

You might also want to check out FLM (I forget the address). They had a fiarly good package available last year that was free.
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mkoss » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:47 pm

arkman,

I found your DB kind of difficult to use...some of the UI was just a little funky. No offense intended. And it wasn't very easy to add players to a roster. I think a desktop application would be better just because it can do things faster than Access and the UI can be made much better.

Michael.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby arkman » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:54 pm

Well - some offense taken. ;)

At least the price was right! And since there is nothing else out there - I'm at least a 'leg up'.

Actually, if you read the release notes I had intended to stick a VB frontend on it, but ran out of time. My source of income got in the way again, damn food and housing! ;)
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dnelms » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:35 pm

trevisc..... for low cost stats check out http://www.quickstats.com/ I used them the last 3 years... cost $50 for the year. They have samples of the type of files that you can download each week. They are tab spaced files, but I wrote a program to change them to comma delimted files.
dnelms
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers