Do Your Picks actually Pan Out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Do Your Picks actually Pan Out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do Your Picks actually Pan Out

Postby Kingsac » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Im in a dynasty league with a minor league system.

Im torn between trading my picks away for proven help vs. future potential players. Anyone draft the beltrans, a rods, vlads, or pujols out there? Are these rankings fairly accurate?

Here are my Minor Leaguers tell me what the future could hold

Andy Marte
Josh Barfield
Joey Gathright
Cole Hamels
Mike Hinckley
Matt Tuiasosopo
Richie Gardner
Kyle Sleeth
Guillermo Quiroz
Dustin McGowan
Brad Eldred
Ryan Doumit
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:37 am

What COULD the future hold? Well, you COULD have several All-stars there, with a couple of #2 type starters. That said, you COULD end up with a bunch of fringe players as well.

If you're choosing whether to keep a prospect or play for this season, play for this season. No rookie is a sure thing, and even top players don't necessarilly come out of the gate the first time they taste the majors. Just look at the 4 players you listed. Only Pujols did well the moment he hit the majors. Beltran had a cup of coffee prior to his first full year, but Vlad and ARod each had part time for two years before their first big (and complete) full season.

So, using Marte as an example (as I'd consider him the best of your prospects), even if he were the next great thing, the odds are he'll be of little help this year even if he comes up, and 2006 is no sure thing.

The rest of your prospects, which include many good ones and a couple I have, all have some level of risk. Barfield has 21 K in 63 AB at AAA. Gathright seems trapped and seems to not have the blessing of the Rays. I like Hinckley, but he very well could be a #3 starter. Hamels has talent, but maturity issues and will be in A ball. I also like McGowen.

But, as a whole, and outside of Marte, I would not be afraid of trading any of them for help this year as I doubt any of them (outside of Marte) will be much help until 2007.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:31 am

i would trade any of them pretty easily except maybe marte.... marte is the only one u have that has true stud potential without question marks.... but i would trade marte as well if the trade improved your major league talent.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:35 pm

we have a 3 yr cycle and a 17 man farm system in a 13 team NL only league so there are lots of prospects stashed away on various rosters...it has been my belief after over 10 yrs of this league that very few prospects are worth keeping (prices on that farm roster range from $15 to $1 (most are $5 and $10) and IF you have a chance to challenge for first then trade them away for immediate help
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:36 pm

p.s. i like marte and doumit from that list
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye