Please list young RP's soon to be top level closers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please list young RP's soon to be top level closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:06 pm

Gonzalez, Wagner, Street, and Juan Rincon(on a different team)
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 am

i actually wouldn't be surprised to see crain with a job closing within two years. either they'll move nathan or crain, but a closer like nathan or a prospect like crain would be almost too useful not to trade if you're the twins.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:55 am

Mike Gonzalez is my favorite because eventually Mesa's arm HAS to simply fall off.....i say that with the following disclaimer......"I thought it would fall off LAST year so i am able to be wrong to say the least lol. Seriously though, he IS getting up there in age.

Others

JUAN RINCON
Jesse Crain both with Minnesota both IMO COULD close and both obviously have to deal with nathan being in front of them. seems to be common thought that crain would be the man of the two but for me Rincon reminds me strongly of K-rod of last year.

Brazobahn-I imagine hes on a team right now but will be dropped as soon as Gagne comes back. Hes already had an audition this year and performed well . Personally i think he could help you THIS year as well. I have said before and will keep saying till proved differently i just have a hunch the gagne thing is going to linger most or all year.

Huston Street-If you are out of it for this year and have nothing to lose he would be a good pick. Even if you ARE playing for this year(as i am) you could do worse than him so i have him.

Ryan Wagner-seems to be making his way back.

Matt Mantei-Nice sleeper and foulke is looking just horrrrrific so far. It will take a lot more imploding to get Mantei a shot but it wouldnt shock me

just a few off the top of my head hope it helps,

INK ;-)
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:15 am

Brad Baker
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:21 am

thanks for the help, guys! ;-D
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thehat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:04 am

AznHisoka wrote:Yousemire Petit of the Mets, and Felix Hernandez.

If Felix Hernandez is closing any games, they will only be those that he starts.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:13 am

I totally agree. I was under the impression that if anything, Rafael Soriano would be a future closer should he return from his injury.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby oukurt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:30 am

Here is a solid list

1. Akinori Otsuka - His WHIP is over 2.00 right now, but I think that's a mirage. I'm more interested in the fact that Hoffman will be a free agent after the 2005 season. At 38, he could choose to retire or peddle his wares elsewhere if the Padres balk at another big contract.

2. Mike Gonzalez - Lost in his terrific 2004 season is that the Pirates really coddled him, using him in just 47 games for fewer than 44 innings. That's changing this year, as Gonzalez has pitched 7 2/3 innings and appeared in eight of 20 games. If he proves to be durable, Gonzalez could be the Pittsburgh closer in 2006.

3. Huston Street - I'm not quite as convinced as everyone else that Street will be a closer in 2005, but there's a very good chance that he will be in 2006. Octavio Dotel hits free agency this fall.

4. Ryan Wagner - After a miserable sophomore season, Wagner has found his rookie form again. The Reds and Danny Graves have mutual options for 2006, so Wagner may not get a turn until 2007.

5. Fernando Cabrera - Surely the least-known name on the list, Cabrera might be my favorite. He was dynamite in a big league cup of coffee last September and is on fire for Triple-A Buffalo to start the season. In 8 1/3 innings so far, Cabrera has 15 strikeouts and one walk. He'll make his mark in the Tribe's bullpen this year and could be getting saves by September. Best of all, most people don't know him so he can still be had on the cheap. Putting my money where my mouth (or keyboard) is, I snagged Cabrera in the reserve draft of the LABR league early last month.

6. Chad Orvella - No one thinks that Danys Baez is long for Tampa Bay, and Jesus Colome seems to have taken a step back this year. Orvella is a bit of a project, as he was primarily a shortstop in college. Pitching for Double-A Montgomery this year, he's allowed four hits and no runs with 11 strikeouts in eight innings.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reiser » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:38 am

oukurt wrote:Here is a solid list

good list-i'll go super-deep and throw Bobby Jenks of the Barons (White Sox) in there-7 saves so far in AA, former Angels uber-prospect now being groomed as a closer.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:02 pm

Here's a couple potential Braves closers:

Roman Colon - Has a fastball that tops out at 96, good movement on his pitches, has a SICK splitter (He K'd Bonds swinging last year with it... that was special), and a nasty slider to go with it. He's also one of the most confident players in the league, ideal for the closer's role. He's thrived ever since he moved to the bullpen in the minors.

Jose Ascaino- He's only in around A ball right now, but everyone who's seen this kid pitch is touting the next K-Rod. "Lightning in a bottle." I think he'll be up in the next 1-2 years, and will be fighting with Colon for the job in the closer's role.

McCay McBride - First Round pick who's been decent in the starter's role, he's been alternating back and forth between relief and starting, but he's got very good stuff. Lefty who can bring it. May be a key part of the bullpen in the next 1-2 years.

Okay, for other teams, uhh...

Rafael Soriano is a great pick to be a closer after Guardado leaves, Jesse Crain if he gets traded, Juan Rincon if he gets traded, Otsuka and Linebrink will probably fight for the closer's job in San Diego after this year.. Hope this helps. I'd take a chance with Colon if you had an extra roster spot.. might even steal some saves this year if Kolb/Reitsma can't get the job done.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers