Giambi: droppable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi: droppable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:00 pm

I don't know whether I'd drop him for Turnbow or any of the other new closers, but Giambi is certainly droppable. I know he has had great numbers in the past, but 1B is a very deep position, and right now I'd say Giambi barely cracks the top 20. Dmitri Young will probably put up better numbers in my opinion. In a 10-12 team standard 5x5 league with 9 starting hitting positions, it's certainly possible that he doesn't deserve a spot on a well managed roster. It's certainly possible that he does too, but right now anybody set at both 1B/UTIL is very likely wasting a roster spot by keeping him. Time will tell though.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:18 pm

d18Mike wrote:I said this in week 2 -- watch him play. He goes to the box looking (or should I say, hoping) for a walk or HBP.

He doesn't have it in the tank. He is not swinging well at all. Proof? Have you ever seen a greater difference between a BA, .218 and a OBP .394? I guess the legs and arms go before the eyes.

I'd dump him, but I'm in a very deep league and there's nothing better on the wire.

Frankly, I don't think the Yankees will put up with this much longer.

I agree with you, but not with what you said about the Yankees. I'm pretty sure they don't mind if he's getting hit or walked, as long as he gets on base, that's all that matters to them. From a fantasy perspective, 5x5 atleast, ofcourse nobody likes to see that but they're not looking at it from a fantasy perspective on the field. If you put him in a situation where he can drive in runs, pitchers aren't gonna just come after him because chances are he can still rake if he gets his pitch.

On a side note, I think he's droppable but not sure about any of those closers. Giambi has decent potential to do decent/good this year, so you may be able to get a closer that's a little better than one of those, depending on the person.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:59 pm

I dropped him weeks ago for guys like Lieber and Sweeney in a couple leagues. It all really depends on who's out there, how set you are at 1B (and, e.g., closer), and what you feel he's shown you so far. I dunno if I'd drop him for Turnbow, but then again maybe he'll be Dan Kolb II, also once the Yanks get things turned around as they inevitably will maybe Giambi will heat up as well, or maybe he will sit more often, or maybe he'll get Giambitis again. If I only had like 2 closers though I would almost certainly drop him if there were anyone decent on the wire.

Such is the fun of fantasy baseball...
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:08 pm

Here's what an idealistic Moron I am .. I picked him up off the WW in the belief that Giambi would have something to prove. That at some level he would buckle down, focus and redeem himself to show people that it wasn't all drug induced performance.

Well, maybe it was.

Right now he is little more than Hee Seop Giambi -- with a bad glove.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bost0n » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 pm

The Giambino rocks. Wait it out.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Rohan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:05 pm