Piazza, what a wonderful catcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piazza, what a wonderful catcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:36 pm

swingaway wrote:i can almost forsee a trade with piazza and cameron to the A's for dotel, kendall :-?

Yeah, if this was a fantasy league then maybe.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:14 pm

Cameron's no trade clause includes the A's. When Beane got all bent about the "bogus" trade negotiations I think he was actually covering for the fact that Cameron refused to waive it. Like Big Poppy would say, "Cameron ain't going to no A's." And as far as Piazza goes it's seems pretty doubtful that he will be traded at this point. Listening to him talk lately it sounds like he will retire after this year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:29 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Seth22 wrote:They say Piazza works great with a staff. He is one of the more trusted signal callers.

BUT... he can't catch or throw the ball. I believe 19 of 21 attempted base-stealers have been successful. Watching him throw is pretty sad. He 2-bounces everything.

True, his arm is terrible. Hower, last night Furcal swiped 3 bags on the pitcher. He just wasn't holding the runners, and Piazza can't be expected to make up for that at his age.

Did you watch the game? Maybe I don't know enough about pick-off attempts, but they threw over to first 6 consecutive times at one point. Heilman was constantly checking the runner. Not to mention a pitch out.

Like I said, maybe I don't recognize when a pirtcher is holding a runner properly, but I thought they did everything they could to contain Furcal. IMO, it was Piazza's arm. He bounced one throw and was off the mark on the other two.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:37 pm

Steve-o wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Seth22 wrote:They say Piazza works great with a staff. He is one of the more trusted signal callers.

BUT... he can't catch or throw the ball. I believe 19 of 21 attempted base-stealers have been successful. Watching him throw is pretty sad. He 2-bounces everything.

True, his arm is terrible. Hower, last night Furcal swiped 3 bags on the pitcher. He just wasn't holding the runners, and Piazza can't be expected to make up for that at his age.

Did you watch the game? Maybe I don't know enough about pick-off attempts, but they threw over to first 6 consecutive times at one point. Heilman was constantly checking the runner. Not to mention a pitch out.

Like I said, maybe I don't recognize when a pirtcher is holding a runner properly, but I thought they did everything they could to contain Furcal. IMO, it was Piazza's arm. He bounced one throw and was off the mark on the other two.

Yeah I watched it. There's a difference between pickoff attempts and keeping the runner close. Even the commentators were talking about how Heilman couldn't keep him close because his pickoff attempt was so obvious when it was coming. Furcal just got huge leads and great jumps because even when the pickoff attempt happened, he could get back easily.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:43 pm

slomo007 wrote:Yeah I watched it. There's a difference between pickoff attempts and keeping the runner close. Even the commentators were talking about how Heilman couldn't keep him close because his pickoff attempt was so obvious when it was coming. Furcal just got huge leads and great jumps because even when the pickoff attempt happened, he could get back easily.

Ohh. I had the sound off. Wife had to work at home.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tomkatt » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm

If I remember right, when Furcal stole third Piazza made a decent throw. Furcal stole it off the pitcher, so it didn't make any difference.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:02 pm

tomkatt wrote:If I remember right, when Furcal stole third Piazza made a decent throw. Furcal stole it off the pitcher, so it didn't make any difference.

Yep, but the media won't tell you that. ESPN will just show the stats saying Piazza allows the most steals. Don't get me wrong, he's got a bad arm....but...I actually kind of feel bad for the guy because his reputation is far worse than he really is.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers