hanley ramirez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

hanley ramirez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

hanley ramirez?

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:37 am

I am about to trade Jose Guillen for this guy and AJP (I have 6 good OFs and need to upgrade at C--you can imagine how bad the situation is if AJP is a major upgrade). At any rate, I don't know a ton about him beyond the fact that he has a huge ceiling and will supposedly develop the power to be a 25/25 guy. And that Renteria is now blocking his way in Boston. That all being said, can anyone answer a few questions:

1. When is he projected to be an MLB starter? Are we talking call-up in late 05 with a shot at starting in 06 or is more like 07 is most likely?

2. Is there any downside on this guy that I need to be aware of? I sort of remember that he was a bit of ahead case, but I could be entirely wrong.

3. How is he doing so far this year and is he in AAA?

Thanks!
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DCNats » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:34 pm

He hits for nice average and is a good base stealer, but he hasn't shown much at all in the way of power.

Knowing that, I would imagine that the Red Sox will be in no hurry to move Renteria to make room for Ramirez unless he does start to develop 25 HR power.

That's all I have. Maybe a Red Sox fan can provide you with more detail...
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Re: hanley ramirez?

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:22 pm

stumpak wrote:1. When is he projected to be an MLB starter? Are we talking call-up in late 05 with a shot at starting in 06 or is more like 07 is most likely?

2. Is there any downside on this guy that I need to be aware of? I sort of remember that he was a bit of ahead case, but I could be entirely wrong.

3. How is he doing so far this year and is he in AAA?

Thanks!

1. It's unclear where or when he will get to the majors due to Rentaria blocking him. He very well could end up moving to 2B or even the OF. Right now I'd say he is 1 to 2 years away, probably has a better shot in '07.

2. He was considered a bit of a head case, but he has seemed to make good strides in turning that around lately. The other little downsides would be he should walk more and that he doesn't always focus as well as he should, but those are big things since he is pretty young.

3. He is doing fairly well, hitting .313/.373/.500. Actually he is in the Red Sox AA team, the Portland Sea Dogs.

BTW- He should develope enough power to be a 20/20 guy and maybe a bit more. He grew some in the last few years and is now 6'3" 195, saw him in ST this year and he looked pretty good. The power should come, though it's usually the last tool to develope.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:33 am

Thanks guys, helpful.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stevethumb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm

i am from portland and have seen him play a few times...great body but has had a few "head" issues..goes the other way a lot and is an impatient hitter swinging at the first or second pitch frequently..i look for him to stay here all year and IF they don't trade him for help in other areas should be the starting redsox SS in 07..look for renteria to move to 3B much like jvalentin did for nomar
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Minor League & College Baseball