Where does Lyon rank among closers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does Lyon rank among closers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where does Lyon rank among closers?

Postby hardboiled » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:09 am

I'd put him below Izzy/Benitez/Wagner, maybe about even or just slightly below Mota/Ryan (for Lyon's lower K potential) and above Kolb/Graves/Guardado/Perci/Looper/Baez.
hardboiled
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where does Lyon rank among closers?

Postby GSes » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:27 am

hardboiled wrote:I'd put him below Izzy/Benitez/Wagner, maybe about even or just slightly below Mota/Ryan (for Lyon's lower K potential) and above Kolb/Graves/Guardado/Perci/Looper/Baez.

I think you pretty much nailed it right on the head.

I think I would still take Guardado/Percival/Looper/and Kolb over him though

I think Baez is a better pitcher then Lyon, but Lyon will get more save opps making him more valuable.

I rank Lyon right around #19 or #20 of all closers in fantasy baseball. Don't mistake his fast start, he is hardly a sure fire thing to keep this up all year long. but then again you never know, guys have done this before where they get the closer job and just run with it.

I remeber a few years ago when he had about a 2 week stint as the red sox closer, and i felt he had potential to develop into a solid big league closer in the future, i have to say he has surprised me because he has developed into a closer this fast and even after injury.

All that said I think I would take Lyon right after or around Percival/Looper/Guardado/Kolb. and before Baez.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:44 am

As far as the closer's job goes, I think that Lyon is still on pretty shaky ground. So he's probably below the water and above the bed, making him sediment. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bost0n » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:58 am

Lyon wasnt that bad. He was also 23 when he last pitched in the majors. He had positive surgery. There is not real evidence that he will start pitching poorly.

He has pitched great so far, but I would still take proven closers over him. Other unproven ones like Mota, Kolb I am not so sure.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Cobra_Kai » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:14 am

Here's my take on Lyon...he's a great option as a number 3 closer for your team. I have him on my squad, but I also have K-Rod and BJ Ryan ahead of him...so right now, I'm reaping the benefits of his hot start (9 saves!?!?!), but if he starts taking giant dumps all over the mound, I've still got two great closers. Not to mention, I've got Borowski on the DL.

But in no way would I be relying upon him to keep me in the saves race all season. If someone offers me something outrageous for him, I'll take it in a heartbeat.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:19 am

lyon is still a bottom 5 closer in baseball imo.... he is getting the saves right now, but once aquino comes back,,,, if lyon struggles once or twice,,, i think u will see aquino as the closer again...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:50 am

raiders_umpire wrote:lyon is still a bottom 5 closer in baseball imo.... he is getting the saves right now, but once aquino comes back,,,, if lyon struggles once or twice,,, i think u will see aquino as the closer again...

There is no way that Aquino is becoming closer again IMO and Lyon is certainly not a bottom 5 closer in baseball. Here are a few worse than him right now without a doubt. Burgos, Turnbow, Fox (or whoever closes for the cubs right now), and Tsao. (These are unarguably worse than him). I'd rather have Lyon than Batista, Baez, Wickman, Mesa, Percival, Dotel, Looper, Mota, Graves, and Brazoban. I guess this puts him in the bottom half IMO, but just barely. I can't believe how little respect he's getting right now...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Stunners » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:55 am

Lyon is pretty damn solid if you have him in a group of 4 "poor mans closers". This year i took a diff strategy then i usually go. I drafted 2 aces in the first 5 rounds. Then 1 more k pitcher before rnd 10. Later ig ot odalis perez. As for closers i got bj ryan late like round 13 in a couple of leagues but otherwise only drafted closers round 17 and on. This was lyon/wickman in every league, and guardado or cordero. In my leagues i have 21 saves and 18 respectively adn first in each. I figure the aces solid era's will hopefully outweigh wickman/lyon types later etc..
Stunners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bselig » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:06 pm

Lyon is about middle of the pack right now as far as closers go, anywhere from around 12-17 or so...I'd still rank BJ Ryan ahead of him for the extra K's. The only way Greg Aquino closes again this season is if Lyon is incapacitated by injury. That's it. He is comically unsuited for the closer role compared to Lyon and should be a free agent in every league
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:10 pm

I think Lyon is in the mid-pack of closers. He's not elite, but he's shown solid stuff so far and has been racking up the saves. I don't think you get 9 saves in the first three weeks by accident. He's got some nasty stuff. His control can be off, though. He's still young, and there's reason to believe the control can be improved. I think he's pretty secure in the closers role unless he starts getting rocked, but that's true of any second-tier closer. Who else are the DB's gonna use? Aquino? I doubt it.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers