Why is Andruw jones such a complete and absolute failure? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Andruw jones such a complete and absolute failure?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:14 pm

BabySitler wrote:OMG. You'd better change that to fantasy baseball player. As a baseball player, he's a stud, can catch anything with a country mile. Offensively, for God sakes, it's only April.

He USED to be the best CF in the game. I've been watching him play quite a few games lately (I have Hudson), and quite frankly he's lost his range.

I'll tell you what the problem is... complete and utter lack of conditioning. I saw a picture on Yahoo of him in a tank top during spring training... and I think he spent most of the winter training with Bartolo.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BabySitler » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:53 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:
BabySitler wrote:OMG. You'd better change that to fantasy baseball player. As a baseball player, he's a stud, can catch anything with a country mile. Offensively, for God sakes, it's only April.

He USED to be the best CF in the game. I've been watching him play quite a few games lately (I have Hudson), and quite frankly he's lost his range.

I'll tell you what the problem is... complete and utter lack of conditioning. I saw a picture on Yahoo of him in a tank top during spring training... and I think he spent most of the winter training with Bartolo.

Maybe I've lost touch.
"The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question: Did he have passion?"

2014 50% off CBS http://cbssports.com/ref/49902950
BabySitler
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brandnew » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:31 pm

How has Andruw lost his range? He IS the best defensive CF in the game; he makes the so called amazing catches Torii and Jimmy make look easy, because he doesn't have to lay out to get them. He still gets great reads on balls, and tracks them down with ease.

I'll tell you this. He's TEN TIMES better than the oft-overrated Carlos Beltran in CF. Speed does not make you a good outfielder.

As for his offense, he's thinking wayyy too much at the plate. Bobby dropped him in the lineup, he's been trying to do way too much. I don't really know what's wrong with him, a lot of people have been citing the weight shift as his problem. (I think someone mentioned it in this thread?) I think he'll rebound well, he's looked better lately.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:04 pm

Up your butt Jobu.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:37 pm

brandnew wrote:How has Andruw lost his range? He IS the best defensive CF in the game; he makes the so called amazing catches Torii and Jimmy make look easy, because he doesn't have to lay out to get them. He still gets great reads on balls, and tracks them down with ease.

This is the exact opposite of the truth. Andruw gets late breaks on balls and makes flashy plays (partially because he plays too deep). He's a very good CF who is highly overrated defensively and he is definitely not the best defensive CF in the game nor does he have the best range. Just my $.02.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:44 pm

Amazinz wrote:
brandnew wrote:How has Andruw lost his range? He IS the best defensive CF in the game; he makes the so called amazing catches Torii and Jimmy make look easy, because he doesn't have to lay out to get them. He still gets great reads on balls, and tracks them down with ease.

This is the exact opposite of the truth. Andruw gets late breaks on balls and makes flashy plays (partially because he plays too deep). He's a very good CF who is highly overrated defensively and he is definitely not the best defensive CF in the game nor does he have the best range. Just my $.02.

Amazinz is exactly right. If you look at his range numbers, they haven't gotten any better over the past four years; in fact they've been on a steady decline. He is highly overrated when it comes to his glove and has not matured as a hitter since he was 23.

Time's running out on him; I've always wondered if he was older than his assumed 28 years. (Although I have no evidence to prove this, so I won't accuse him of anything.)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wavetide007 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:09 pm

1) He hasn't matured as a hitter since he was 23

2) He's probably older than he says he is

3) He's not on the rise, he's on a steady decline

4) Physically, he's looking worse every year

5) He's getting slower in the field and at the plate and on the bases

ANDRUW JONES IS REALLY 36 YEARS OLD
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:17 pm

Andruw is so far from an elite CF now that it's not even funny. He's regressed a HUGE amount from 2000 forward. He's fat and slow and his Zone Ratings have taken a huge dive over the past 5 years. Why does he keep getting the same recognition despite clearly diminished defensive range? Who knows. The same is true for Omar Vizquel.

As for his hitting... I expected a big letdown for all the people who though he'd take a big step forward from the advice he got from Willie Mays, but I didn't expect him to be this bad. I said I'd be happy with .275 and 30+ HR's, which was seen as paltry compared to what others expected... and I bet now that we've seen a month of his new swing his owners would beg for .275 with 30+ HR's.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:39 pm

Most hitters go through slumps. This has nothing to do with Andruw's new stance, he's looked much better at the plate than he has in the past.

Whatever, I really disagree with your guys' assessment of him as a defensive CF, and I really don't think defensive stats do any justice. Who do you consider a better Center Fielder?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:04 pm

(This is where I point out like a jackass that Beltran just cost the Mets a run by diving for a ball he had no chance of catching)
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers