Your predictions for Kelvim Escobar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your predictions for Kelvim Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:33 am

This is basically a rerun of my Randy Wolf post earlier this week.

Escobar lifetime: 69-67, 4.45

Jeez, he IS Randy Wolf, for all intents and purposes. Spectacular at times, but when you read the bottom line, a .500 pitcher in every respect.

Overrated, at least here.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:38 am

thehat wrote:This is basically a rerun of my Randy Wolf post earlier this week.

Jeez, he IS Randy Wolf, for all intents and purposes. Spectacular at times, but when you read the bottom line, a .500 pitcher in every respect.

I put Escobar a bit above Wolf. Wolfs numbers also have 4 seasons of pitching in a more favorable park than he does now factored into them.

Since returning from an injury in 2001 Escobar has put up markedly improved #'s as a Starter as oppossed to being used in relief since then. He wont become a 1st tier starter but Escobar is a nice sleeper for high 3rd or low 2nd tier fantasy production.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:39 am

thehat wrote:This is basically a rerun of my Randy Wolf post earlier this week.

I usually agree with you, but Escobar is a much different case than Wolf. First, escobar is an established strikeout pitcher, wolf is not. In 5 X 5 or most points leagues that instantly makes him much better than wolf. Secondly, Escobar has been bounced around starting and the pen his whole career, never having a chance to establish himself as a reliever or a starter, Wolf has been pitching as a starter for his whole career, so he would seem to have less upside in that role, as we know what he is capable of. Finally, Escobar has been getting better across the board the past few years, while Wolf has been getting marginally worse each year since 02.

While the career #'s look similar, Escobar has been improving and is finally establishing himself as a starter. Not to mention he just has better stuff than Wolf in the first place, IMO.

Just to put the money where the mouth is: Projection for Escobar:
14 W 190 IP 3.7 ERA 1.27 WHIP 185 K

Now Wolf 12W 180 IP 4.3 ERA 1.35 WHIP 130 K
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:05 am

Escobar was messed up and inconsistent (to be kind) when he was with Toronto...starter...closer...starter. If you remember, he was an absolutely BRUTAL closer. Really awful. Since the move to Anaheim he has been a solid pitcher. Getting out of the Skydome and the AL East can only have helped also. Soft to non-existant offenses in Seattle and Oakland as opposed to NY and Boton and Baltimore.

Not to be confused with Santana mind you, but comparing him to Wolf is not really fair. Wolf has been inconsistent and injury prone and his situation has not really changed.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:37 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Escobar was messed up and inconsistent (to be kind) when he was with Toronto...starter...closer...starter. If you remember, he was an absolutely BRUTAL closer. Really awful. Since the move to Anaheim he has been a solid pitcher. Getting out of the Skydome and the AL East can only have helped also. Soft to non-existant offenses in Seattle and Oakland as opposed to NY and Boton and Baltimore.

Not to be confused with Santana mind you, but comparing him to Wolf is not really fair. Wolf has been inconsistent and injury prone and his situation has not really changed.

Seattle's offense isn't supposed to be soft, they have Ichiro, Beltre and Sexson!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:05 am

Well apparently someone forgot to tell Beltre. Not a contract year this year.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby crapshooter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:58 am

No kidding...I paid $40 for Beltre...my biggest mistake of the draft
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Punisher » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:32 am

Escobar's numbers should be a bit improved since he got absolutely no run support last year and had only 11 wins yet Bartolo had 18 wins and he had like a whole point of ERA higher than him. Talk about no help. Anyway I htink that will improve this year for Escobar, only thing to worry about is his control which can kind of go crazy sometimes.

Ill say 15 W, 3.86 ERA, 1.15 WHIP,190 K's,
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:58 am

Definitely an impressive debut. And I'll agree he has more of a breakout shot than Wolf.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby IvanX » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 am

I'm surprised so few (only one person) have mentioned how poor Escobar's run support was last year, and how that affects his W-L record. He could have won five more games, easy, if they had hit for him the way they hit for, say, Washburn, an inferior pitcher. This year should bring good things for Escobar -- with last night being both very promising (his performance) and mildly alarming (no run support -- again!)

Anyway, he's a money player in my book
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers