Looks like Billy Beane kept the best pitcher afterall... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looks like Billy Beane kept the best pitcher afterall...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:22 am

LBJackal wrote:I really doubt Hampton has an ERA below 4 at the end of the year. Below 4.50 would surprise me too. With his horrible K/BB he needs to keep the ball in the park almost every single game. He did taht in 1999 and 2000, but not since then. To top it off, even when he's at his absolute best, his WHIP and K's still stink. I doubt he'll never be regarded as a good fantasy pitcher again. I'm not saying Zito is better though, they're both pretty crappy.

Jackal, let's not hijack this thread...we've had our discussions elsewhere. I think I know how you stand on Hampton...and I hope you know how I stand, so that I can constantly remind you throughout the year. ;-)

I have to be careful, I don't want to get too confident here...but I do believe in him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:29 am

Yeah I know, just throwing that out there into the Hampton discussion.

BTW you didn't start defending him until after his first two starts so it's not like you called it ahead of time. I never bashed him until then because I never thought people would actually consider worthy of being on a fantasy roster :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:34 am

LBJackal wrote:Yeah I know, just throwing that out there into the Hampton discussion.

BTW you didn't start defending him until after his first two starts so it's not like you called it ahead of time. I never bashed him until then because I never thought people would actually consider worthy of being on a fantasy roster :-D

Not true, I guess I'll need to go date hunting. He's been on my roster for all of his starts.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:39 am

Here you go Jackal:

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... ht=hampton
slomo007 wrote:PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:31 am

Hampton supposedly had knee surgery to fix his knee problem that has been troubling him over the past couple of seasons, and he says he feels a "lot better"....so I think he's the one most worth gambling on. I'm not saying he'll be great, but I think the odds are better that he'll outperform anyone else on that list.

Or perhaps:

slomo007 wrote:PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 am

Hampton
Blanton
Ramirez

Cabrera

Floyd

Again, I'm not advocating he's suddenly going to be an ace...but he'll be a good pitcher this year and is certainly worthy of being a 5-6th SP on a fantasy staff. He's an even better real life pitcher as well.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:40 am

Harden wont be eligible for arbitation untill 2007. Beane didnt make a decision to keep Harden; Harden nor the front office had a choice.

Mulder is still an ace-esque pitcher, as well as Hudson.

The jury is still out on Barry.

Meyer is still one of the best lefty prospects in baseball.

Just like every season people put to much stock into the most volatile time of the year: April.

Thomas plays great defense. (perfect compliment to Byrnes in a L/R Platoon)
Juan Cruz is dealing with the same command issues everybody knew he had. (even last season with his 2.70ERA) Cruz is an active example of the Leo Mazzone effect.

About mid way point we'd have significant enough data to start making some conclusions on the success of the trades.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:44 am

fantasyfiend wrote:Harden wont be eligible for arbitation untill 2007. Beane didnt make a decision to keep Harden; Harden nor the front office had a choice.

Mulder is still an ace-esque pitcher, as well as Hudson.

The jury is still out on Barry.

Meyer is still one of the best lefty prospects in baseball.

Just like every season people put to much stock into the most volatile time of the year: April.

Thomas plays great defense. (perfect compliment to Byrnes in a L/R Platoon)
Juan Cruz is dealing with the same command issues everybody knew he had. (even last season with his 2.70ERA) Cruz is a product of the Leo Mazzone effect.

About mid way point we'd have significant enough data to start making conclusions on the success of the trades.

Billy got Harden to sign a nice cheap extension ;-D ;-D

right before he decided to bust out into the april AL cy young
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:47 am

Yea. considering we got a 4 year extension at $9M

Harden's initial arbitration years wont be to heavy on the payroll. plus we have a team option for 2009 @ $7M.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 am

slomo007 wrote:Here you go Jackal:

slomo007 wrote:PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:31 am

Hampton supposedly had knee surgery to fix his knee problem that has been troubling him over the past couple of seasons, and he says he feels a "lot better"....so I think he's the one most worth gambling on. I'm not saying he'll be great, but I think the odds are better that he'll outperform anyone else on that list.

Or perhaps:

slomo007 wrote:PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 am

Hampton
Blanton
Ramirez

Cabrera

Floyd

Again, I'm not advocating he's suddenly going to be an ace...but he'll be a good pitcher this year and is certainly worthy of being a 5-6th SP on a fantasy staff. He's an even better real life pitcher as well.

Better than Horacio Ramirez and Daniel Cabrera.... 2 of the worst SP's in baseball, LOL

You could have made that prediction and picked an SP out of a hat and it would have been true!

But if Hampton has a better ERA than Blanton this year, I'll buy you a present or soemthing. :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mugwump » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:58 am

When do you think Meyer becomes ready to crack the rotation?
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:18 am

Honestly, with Seth Etherton's somewhat eye opening spring training, and current performance in Sacremento Etherton will be the first one to step in if Saarlos cant handle the #5 spot.

I expect Meyer to follow the same pattern Blanton did last season. Maybe a spot start in september or mop up relief.

But if Meyer starts dominating the PCL, and both Etherton and Saarloos struggle, Meyer could possibly win a rotation spot as early as July.

take that for whats its worth.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers