Looks like Billy Beane kept the best pitcher afterall... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looks like Billy Beane kept the best pitcher afterall...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looks like Billy Beane kept the best pitcher afterall...

Postby thrash » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:54 pm

Rich Harden looks like a complete stud right now. 2 starts without giving up a run, and his third start is in progress and is about to throw 7 innings of shutout ball...Has a great K rate to add on to that.

I was following his start today on CBS and it had him throwing 94-97 mph HEAT, then he'll follow it up with a 67 mph curve, or a 66 mph splitter, or a changeup in the 80s...I'm not sure if CBS was right or not, cuz I havent really seen him pitch, but that's complete filth.

Also his control looks to be in order, could bust out in a big way.
GO SOX
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:57 pm

This has been expected of im from some time. He's always had ace power and most people knew it. Good for his owners.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:58 pm

I agree. Harden is a stud and will be as good as, if not better, than Hudson this year. I do think that Beane should have simply traded Mulder and not Hudson. Or he could have traded Zito instead of Hudson.

That would have given him a rotation of:
Hudson
Harden
Haren (for Mulder)
Blanton
Zito (or, if traded Saarlos)

That is an incredible rotation, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. Still, Beane did well to keep Harden and deal the proven guys.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:03 am

slomo007 wrote:I agree. Harden is a stud and will be as good as, if not better, than Hudson this year. I do think that Beane should have simply traded Mulder and not Hudson. Or he could have traded Zito instead of Hudson.

Hudson
Harden
Haren (for Mulder)
Blanton

That is an incredible rotation, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. Still, Beane did well to keep Harden and deal the proven guys.

I'm sure he couldn't have gotten anywhere near that value if he had traded Zito.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 am

beltrans_boy wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I agree. Harden is a stud and will be as good as, if not better, than Hudson this year. I do think that Beane should have simply traded Mulder and not Hudson. Or he could have traded Zito instead of Hudson.

Hudson
Harden
Haren (for Mulder)
Blanton

I'm sure he couldn't have gotten anywhere near that value if he had traded Zito.

What do you mean? He still could have gotten Haren for Mulder. I'm saying that he could have held on to Zito (and Hudson) and just traded Mulder for Haren and Calero (like he did).

Having Zito as a 5th starter is about right. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:15 am

Hudson is making $7M this year. They didn't trade him to improve their rotation, they traded him to dump salary. They now have Meyer locked up for along time for cheap as well. Not to mention Juan Cruz and Charles Thomas. Although Cruz hasn't been so good this year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:17 am

LBJackal wrote:Hudson is making $7M this year. They didn't trade him to improve their rotation, they traded him to dump salary. They now have Meyer locked up for along time for cheap as well. Not to mention Juan Cruz and Charles Thomas. Although Cruz hasn't been so good this year.

Yeah, you're right. It was more of a pipedream than anything...but I realize Beane had monetary concerns in mind too. Too bad he couldn't screw someone with Zito. Maybe he was hoping for a hot-start so he could trade before the deadline. :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby echrisl » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:18 am

Harden is looking great. I've been watching the game, and he totally dominated my M's. I'd be more bummed if I didn't own Harden in my main league. Now if he can just keep that blister from coming back ...
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:22 am

echrisl wrote:Harden is looking great. I've been watching the game, and he totally dominated my M's. I'd be more bummed if I didn't own Harden in my main league. Now if he can just keep that blister from coming back ...

Hey! There will be no mention of the b-word around Harden owners, particularly Harden owners who, like me, kept him over Beckett primarily because of Beckett's blister history.
Still, I'm liking the fact that he's not walking many at all. It's early, but this could be a huge season.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 am

Is it just me or do any of you other guys think that Haren is better than Mulder? And will be alot better than Mulder when it's all said and done.....
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers