Ben Sheets Hospitalized...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ben Sheets Hospitalized......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ben Sheets Hospitalized......

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:26 pm

They are saying some kind of inner ear ailment. Nothing concrete really. Staying overnight for test.

All per MLB.com

:-o
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:57 pm

Wow, that's kind of crazy. I'm sure its just precautionary and he will be just fine - but, the words 'taken to the hospital' are never good.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:02 pm

There has been some kind of viral bug going around the brewer club house. Jenkins missed several games last week. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something related to that.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:43 pm

Apr 21 Updating an earlier item, Sports Network reports Milwaukee Brewers SP Ben Sheets (flu) was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms Thursday, April 21, after complaining of nausea and dizziness. Sheets was also given a series of tests. Sheets had pitched the day prior even though he had been questionable up to game time because of the flu. KFFL

From

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6618/news

Looks like he has vertigo again, I think he'll be fine.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby miracle » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm

hope he's ok
miracle
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:56 pm

Yeah it's been going around the team. Jenkins missed 3 games from it. Too bad he didn't just sit down and miss his spot in the rotation - I probably should have benched him after hearing how bad he was feeling before the game.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:51 pm

He was officially diagnosed with vestibular neuritis, which sounds worse than it is. It's a deep inner ear inflammation, which definitely accounts for the dizziness. I can't believe he pitched yesterday, that kind of thing can be pretty debilitating. I'm thinking he probably should have sat yesterday out and let Obermueller have the spot start, but he wanted to go. He won't make the trip to San Fran, but he wasn't due to pitch anyway.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:26 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:He was officially diagnosed with vestibular neuritis, which sounds worse than it is. It's a deep inner ear inflammation, which definitely accounts for the dizziness. I can't believe he pitched yesterday, that kind of thing can be pretty debilitating. I'm thinking he probably should have sat yesterday out and let Obermueller have the spot start, but he wanted to go. He won't make the trip to San Fran, but he wasn't due to pitch anyway.

Scooter - you the man! Thanks so much for the update. You must still be in WI...

Yeah, I couldn't believe he pitched either. I think you would probably have to rip the ball out of his hand before he gave up a start. Makes you wonder how much pain he was in last year when he missed starts because of his back injury...
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:16 am

Scooter1027 wrote:He was officially diagnosed with vestibular neuritis, which sounds worse than it is. It's a deep inner ear inflammation, which definitely accounts for the dizziness. I can't believe he pitched yesterday, that kind of thing can be pretty debilitating. I'm thinking he probably should have sat yesterday out and let Obermueller have the spot start, but he wanted to go. He won't make the trip to San Fran, but he wasn't due to pitch anyway.

Yeah and those boneheads left him to pitch over 100. There is a reason why that franchise just plain sucks. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:38 am

Full story if you want to know more... :-o

Yahoo! Sports wrote:Brewers ace Sheets hospitalized

April 22, 2005
HOUSTON (Ticker) - Milwaukee Brewers righthander Ben Sheets was hospitalized Thursday with vestibular neuritis, an inner-ear ailment that also sidelined him last June.

Sheets, who threw 110 pitches in a 6-1 loss to the Houston Astros on Wednesday night, complained of severe dizziness and nausea Thursday morning while visiting his family in nearby Katy, Texas.

Signed to the richest contract in Brewers history six days ago, Sheets will remain in a hospital in downtown Houston overnight. His scheduled start in St. Louis on Monday could be in doubt.

Vestibular neuritis is a condition in which inflammation in the inner ear causes severe nausea and vertigo. In approximately 95 percent of cases, it is a one-time occurrence.

Last year, the 26-year-old Sheets missed just one start due to the ailment before returning to toss a one-hitter against the Anaheim Angels on June 8.

"He got it last year and he got over it pretty quick," Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said. "But he can't fly so he has to stay overnight (at the hospital). When he got it last year, the doctors said there was a five percent chance of recurrence. We'll just have to wait and see."

Before Wednesday's start, Sheets was battling flu-like symptoms that have swept through the Milwaukee clubhouse. He allowed back-to-back home runs in the first inning and eventually surrendered six runs and nine hits in six plus innings while falling to 1-3.

Sheets refused to blame the illness for his performance Wednesday.

"I didn't feel bad before I went out there to pitch," he said.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers