Aaron Rowand........BUST??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Rowand........BUST???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Dodger Blue wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:It seems to me that last year was the best season Rowand will ever have - he's not a bad player by any means, but last season is as good as he'll ever get.

Many players have trouble adjusting in their second year, because the league adjusts to them. Rowand's 3 to 1 k/bb ratio leads me to believe that this will be a learning year for him.

If I were a major league team, I would love an outfielder that could hit .290 with 20 homers and a half-dozen stolen bases while playing at the league minimum.

As a fantasy owner, I'm just not impressed.

Just curious are a Jason Bay, Lawton, Patterson fan?

I didn't like Patterson until about a year or so ago. I don't think he's going to make too much noise this year, but I do think he'll be a 20/20 guy - with a .270ish average. In the future, though, I do think he will improve until he reaches stardom. This year? .270, 20 homers, 20 sb.

Jason Bay. Last season seems about right, assuming he recovers from his offseason shoulder surgery. Though I am naturally wary of guys with such a long history of being traded. .270, 20 homers, 10 sb.

Matt Lawton. He's fine. He's 33 years old, so he's not going to get any better. But he is a nice player. .270, 10, 10.

For this year, I view all four as league-average players. Nice guys to have for a major league team, barely good enough to make a fantasy team in a 12 team 5x5. The only one I expect to improve is Patterson, because he's starting to be much more selective in choosing his pitch. But none of them are stars just yet - and I think Patterson is the only one with a real chance at being above average.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Elijah » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:47 am

Yikes.. "barely good enough to make a fantasy team in a 12 team 5x5"? Wow, I must have those guys (except for Lawton, I agree with your definition of him, even though I think he'll do better than the #'s you posted) rated waaaay higher than you. They were all in the top 23 OF's for my preseason rankings which easily places them within my definition of 'quite solid 2nd OF's.

My preseason predictions:

Corey Patterson 620 97 27 84 32 0.282

Jason Bay 538 83 32 92 12 0.287

Aaron Rowand 522 95 27 82 16 0.295

They've all been pretty crappy so far of course. We'll have to revisit these guys later on in the year, because I'd be willing to bet they'll be well above average (fantasy)outfielders.

[/quote]
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:17 am

if you go back and do a search, you will find many posts where i considered rowand a stay away from guy on draft day..... my prediction was he would be on the bench or in the minors come june or july..... I stand by my prediction......if he gets dropped in your league, let him stay on the FA list.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Irish » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:39 am

raiders_umpire wrote:if you go back and do a search, you will find many posts where i considered rowand a stay away from guy on draft day..... my prediction was he would be on the bench or in the minors come june or july..... I stand by my prediction......if he gets dropped in your league, let him stay on the FA list.....

Yeah I'll do that.....
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers