Aaron Rowand........BUST??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Rowand........BUST???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dodger Blue » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:08 pm

You know what don't draft him and if you get players like Rowand in an auto draft please drop them. So far this year I gotten Mauer, Drew, Rowand, Morneau, and soon Wagner. I love idiots who give up on good players.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:23 pm

agchris02 wrote:actually i did, here ya go:

Rowand's minor league career:
.281 BA, (higher if you throw out one half of an off year in 2003)
compared to mags .271 and maglio spent a year longer in A with a +.300

Rowand had a higher HR/AB ratio, more rbis per game or AB, however you want to look at it, and a higher SB/Game ratio

In his first full year in the majors (last year), he had a higher batting average, higher OBP, higher number of SB's, higher slugging percentage, more HR's and more RBI's than magglio did in his first full year

It appears as if its not me that didnt look at the stats. This is second full season in the majors, I reiterate, be patient.

Magglio is one player. He is also not Aaron Rowand, so you can't say Rowand is going to post a .300+ average because Magglio had a .271 minor league average. You failed to mention that Rowand never posted a .300+ average above his first half-season in A-ball. Rowand had more early power than Magglio. He also had a .405 BB/K ratio, as opposed to Magglio with .550. That to me is very telling. RBI and SB and even to a degree, HR, are practically useless. Magglio was also twenty-four when he had his first full season. Rowand was twenty-six.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Jungy69 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:27 pm

The season has just begun. Much more baseball to be played here. That aside i believe he is a bust, he will still be rather productive at 20-20 .300 perhaps or better. From the rounds i have seen him go i believe he will be a bust not living upto expectation of a high draft pick but still a rather productive player with upside.
Jungy69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Dodger Blue wrote:You know what don't draft him and if you get players like Rowand in an auto draft please drop them. So far this year I gotten Mauer, Drew, Rowand, Morneau, and soon Wagner. I love idiots who give up on good players.

Oh, believe me, I don't have Rowand in any one of my leagues. Every one of those players you listed is an established major leaguer or a touted prospect, except for Rowand. Have fun in your Yahoo public league.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby agchris02 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Rowand in the minors:
306K's/1715 AB's = .18 K's per AB

Maglio:
367K's/2457 AB's = .15 K's per AB

very comparable, especially if you factor in that Magglio spent 5 years at A or BELOW

Rowand spent 1 1/2yr's at A ball, and only spent 2 1/2 full yrs in the minors, the rest he was slipping up to the major league club, while magglio spent almost 7

maglio was 24 in his first full season, rowand 26, taking into account how much longer maglio spent in the minors, again very similar, with me giving a slight edge to rowand

the white sox ranked rowand their number one prospect
Ill give you rowand might not ever quite be as good as maglio, though I think he will be, but he will be a VERY good major league player

I re-iterate that two weeks is no time to judge a player, the white sox arent panicing over this guy and neither should anyone else. Dropping him would be idiotic in anything other than an 8 team league
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dodger Blue » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:40 pm

Pedantic wrote: Have fun in your Yahoo public league.

Oh I will thanks. ;-7
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:41 pm

It seems to me that last year was the best season Rowand will ever have - he's not a bad player by any means, but last season is as good as he'll ever get.

Many players have trouble adjusting in their second year, because the league adjusts to them. Rowand's 3 to 1 k/bb ratio leads me to believe that this will be a learning year for him.

If I were a major league team, I would love an outfielder that could hit .290 with 20 homers and a half-dozen stolen bases while playing at the league minimum.

As a fantasy owner, I'm just not impressed.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dodger Blue » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:46 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:It seems to me that last year was the best season Rowand will ever have - he's not a bad player by any means, but last season is as good as he'll ever get.

Many players have trouble adjusting in their second year, because the league adjusts to them. Rowand's 3 to 1 k/bb ratio leads me to believe that this will be a learning year for him.

If I were a major league team, I would love an outfielder that could hit .290 with 20 homers and a half-dozen stolen bases while playing at the league minimum.

As a fantasy owner, I'm just not impressed.

Just curious are a Jason Bay, Lawton, Patterson fan?
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby agchris02 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm

patterson - yes
bay - yes
lawton - no

patterson
bay
rowand

lawton
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jkpigskin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:31 pm

i think he will turn it around.. he has to much talent to be a bad player as one scout said he had a great eye at the plate.... though hitting at the bottom of the order wont help him

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers