What are you doing with Zito? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are you doing with Zito?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Slomo, I never said anything about you being a bandwagon hopper. I don't know how long you've been talking about Zito taking a downturn... for all I know it could have been three years ago. All I know is that this uprise against him certainly took place over a very short period of time. Most of the people I know who joined in (both here and in my personal leagues) were the ones defending him midway last season, when nothing at all was different from right now. I wasn't pointing fingers, but it's funny how over a few starts this guy went from a slumping star to a ww bum.

Also, I didn't see anything in this thread suggesting that he simply had to work on his pitch selection. Many guys said he was "figured out"... whatever that means. I'm also yet to see anything here that suggests why he couldn't get back to a 3.xx ERA if he just fixed the problem between his ears.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Slomo, I never said anything about you being a bandwagon hopper. I don't know how long you've been talking about Zito taking a downturn... for all I know it could have been three years ago. All I know is that this uprise against him certainly took place over a very short period of time. Most of the people I know who joined in (both here and in my personal leagues) were the ones defending him midway last season, when nothing at all was different from right now. I wasn't pointing fingers, but it's funny how over a few starts this guy went from a slumping star to a ww bum.

Also, I didn't see anything in this thread suggesting that he simply had to work on his pitch selection. Many guys said he was "figured out"... whatever that means. I'm also yet to see anything here that suggests why he couldn't get back to a 3.xx ERA if he just fixed the problem between his ears.

slomo007 wrote:GSes, hear me out before bashing me. If Tadahito really knew Zito the same way 75% of the other batters know Zito....he would have known that when Zito has runners on base, he can't afford to walk someone. When he can't afford to walk someone, he abandons his curve when he's behind in the count. Therefore, what you need to do is simply wait for the fastball....which WILL come when he misses his curve location (which he tends to do when runners are on base). That is how you beat Zito...I'm not even a Major Leaguer and I can figure it out.

It's not ludcrious if you really think about it. That inning could have been big, but Zito had a batter who chased a curve like most batters wouldn't have done when Zito is in trouble. That's exactly what leads to his big innings, and that's what would have led to another one if he were more expereienced with him.

TheYanks04 wrote:Now hitters look like they are sitting on the heat knowing he will eventually get behind some hitters and they can tee off on his very mediocre fastball.

slomo007 wrote:Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. And that after admitting you are not an expert.

Zito has nothing when he's got runners on and is behind in the count. The only reason he is dominant through portions is when he prevents the runners getting on in the first place. That won't happen consistently though, due to the overwhelming chances that there will be a couple of bloop singles or an error or some other way of men getting on base.

Here are some things which were discussed. The only thing we really didn't talk about was why he can't control his curve ball as well anymore....but I think it has something to do with (like Yanks mentioned), Peterson leaving. It also has a lot to do with batters realizing after a couple of years that his curve isn't usually a strike...so if you just hold off he'll get behind in the count and throw a fastball. I think these two things in combination are why he's pitching like he is.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ja515y » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, as the one who started this thred I have to say that I'm just as confused as I was when I started it. So I still have Zito on my team. I did have him pitch last night :-[ . I was soooo happy when I saw those zeros on his ERA through 6. Then I was soooo angry when I saw those 4er, and the fact that he was still in the game through 100 pitches. Especially in a very tight game, and having a good pen behind him.
This is how I look at it. He is a high risk/ high reward player. If you have the bench spot to let him simmer than do it. If there are other players you want to pick up, you can't drop anyone else, and/or your falling too far behind and can't afford to keep him anymore, then dump him like the bitch of a girlfriend he is.
I'm keeping him for 1 or 2 more starts. I just can't drop him right now after coming so close the past couple games. My league is very active though, and there are guys coming on and off the WW and FA market. So I'm not going to wait too much longer for him to come around.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Viper8437 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:55 pm

for once
i think i agree with slomo
dropped him too
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tropico1804 » Tue May 03, 2005 2:42 pm

What do you guys think of zito now after couple quality starts?
Tropico1804
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 2:43 pm

He had one good start, I'm not biting. However, if I still owned him I would look to trade him to an optimistic As fan rather than dropping him like I did. I would not put him in my lineup. :-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby swingaway » Tue May 03, 2005 2:59 pm

ive already downgraded zito to have no mreo vauel than 4 or 5 sp on fantasy team and he should be grouped with guys like washburn.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tropico1804 » Wed May 04, 2005 1:42 am

I hung on to him...should I start him instead of Arroyo, Towers, Silva, Haren, or wait for Benson?....in a pretty competitive league.
Tropico1804
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tropico1804 » Wed May 04, 2005 7:52 pm

oook
Tropico1804
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers