What are you doing with Zito? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are you doing with Zito?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 am

His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:02 am

RynMan wrote:His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....


RynMan, read the discussion between GSes and myself. We discussed this very fact and pretty much came to the conclusion that things like this happen to him consistently so it's really not a fluke or anything to be optimistic about. He is a fifth or sixth starter at best, and even then I think there are young guys worth gambling on over Zito.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:05 am

slomo007 wrote:
RynMan wrote:His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....


RynMan, read the discussion between GSes and myself. We discussed this very fact and pretty much came to the conclusion that things like this happen to him consistently so it's really not a fluke or anything to be optimistic about. He is a fifth or sixth starter at best, and even then I think there are young guys worth gambling on over Zito.



we didn't come to a conclustion on that :~( :~(

I said no way zito should be dropped in a 12 team league, I agree with rynman he is a #4 or #5 right now in 12 team mixed leagues.

your right slomo its not a fluke, but like i said he "can" turn it around, and by that i mean he is better then what he has showed so far..................he is never going to regain 2001-2003 form BUT

like i said

14 wins
3.80 era
1.20 whip
175 K's

is my projection for him in 2005 making him a very good end of rotation guy.
Image
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:07 am

GSes wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
RynMan wrote:His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....


RynMan, read the discussion between GSes and myself. We discussed this very fact and pretty much came to the conclusion that things like this happen to him consistently so it's really not a fluke or anything to be optimistic about. He is a fifth or sixth starter at best, and even then I think there are young guys worth gambling on over Zito.



we didn't come to a conclustion on that :~( :~(

I said no way zito should be dropped in a 12 team league, I agree with rynman he is a #4 or #5 right now in 12 team mixed leagues.

your right slomo its not a fluke, but like i said he "can" turn it around, and by that i mean he is better then what he has showed so far..................he is never going to regain 2001-2003 form BUT

like i said

14 wins
3.80 era
1.20 whip
175 K's

is my projection for him in 2005 making him a very good end of rotation guy.


OK, OK, I came to that conclusion...and others (not you) agreed. He is droppable IMO, but I'm sure there will be some who disagree and are even willing to use their waiver priority on him...making it only sweeter for people like me who dropped him. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:15 am

I'd give him some time. He's hot and cold often. His upside led to a Cy Young. Beane kept him, so he must have some worth. :-b

He's been working on a 'slurve' apparently. I avoided him after he won the Cy Young because I knew he was over valued. I grabbed him this year because he fell pretty far and I ignored SP after Santana. My options were limited, but I knew what I was getting into when I drafted him.

I'll ride him out. I want every game he throws when he is on. It might get ugly, but I'm not convinced the league has him figured out.
Image

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1390
Joined: 3 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:00 am

Im optimistic cuz Im a homer. And so is GSes. ;-)
Mo, you probably have an untainted perspective on him.
That said I will still keep him on my roster and put up with his inconsistency.

Every1 has realised noe that Harden is the ace of this staff so hopefully this takes a lil pressure off Barry.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 pm

I'd suggest that he IS droppable, b/c his issues seem to be both performance AND consistency, often within a game. If he figures it out, I think that he could easily return to form and be a good 'bargain' but the thing is, like Kerry Wood who I've watched more of, the "I struck out 7 in 5 innings but got lit up for 2 innings before I got yanked' outings are almost useless for fantasy purposes (unless you have points that somehow value k/9 > W/ Era?) as it's almost impossible to predict when they will do well.

Brett Myers had issues like this a couple of years ago, shutting out Boston and getting killed by the Expos.

That being said, I finally gave up on Zito last year in late July or August and he promptly turned it 'on'. :,-(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:58 pm

I just dropped him in my weekly points league...I already have Mulder and Vazquez as well, and he seemed like the one everyone was the most afraid of not returning to form. Of course, someone picked him up immediately, so I'll look like a fool if he gets his stuff back. I will use the spot to rotate in two start guys.

All I know is that Macha is saying "he looked the best he has in years" after his last start...He gave up like 4 runs (yeah I know, on a home run). :-o
Image
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3455
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:28 pm

slomo007 wrote:I dropped him in the only league I drafted him in. He's droppable in most 10-12 team leagues IMO.


Slomo, if you don't like him that much, trade him. You can always find a sucker to get him cheap.

Me, I'm buying.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:50 pm

Another start, another trademark Zito big inning blowup.

So who's finally deciding to drop him? C'mon, I know you're out there. Join the club, there's plenty of room on the bus.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, Johnesmype and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact