What are you doing with Zito? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are you doing with Zito?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 am

His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:02 am

RynMan wrote:His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....

RynMan, read the discussion between GSes and myself. We discussed this very fact and pretty much came to the conclusion that things like this happen to him consistently so it's really not a fluke or anything to be optimistic about. He is a fifth or sixth starter at best, and even then I think there are young guys worth gambling on over Zito.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:05 am

slomo007 wrote:
RynMan wrote:His line yesterday was deceiving. He got into trouble early by someone singling, walking the next 2 guys on close pitches, then falling behind 3-0 to Boone. After that he was solid. I think he will be okay. Im not anticipating an ERA under 4 but he should be a fine 4 or 5 starter in 12 team leagues tho....

RynMan, read the discussion between GSes and myself. We discussed this very fact and pretty much came to the conclusion that things like this happen to him consistently so it's really not a fluke or anything to be optimistic about. He is a fifth or sixth starter at best, and even then I think there are young guys worth gambling on over Zito.

we didn't come to a conclustion on that :~( :~(

I said no way zito should be dropped in a 12 team league, I agree with rynman he is a #4 or #5 right now in 12 team mixed leagues.

your right slomo its not a fluke, but like i said he "can" turn it around, and by that i mean he is better then what he has showed so far..................he is never going to regain 2001-2003 form BUT

like i said

14 wins
3.80 era
1.20 whip
175 K's

is my projection for him in 2005 making him a very good end of rotation guy.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:07 am

GSes wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

we didn't come to a conclustion on that :~( :~(

I said no way zito should be dropped in a 12 team league, I agree with rynman he is a #4 or #5 right now in 12 team mixed leagues.

your right slomo its not a fluke, but like i said he "can" turn it around, and by that i mean he is better then what he has showed so far..................he is never going to regain 2001-2003 form BUT

like i said

14 wins
3.80 era
1.20 whip
175 K's

is my projection for him in 2005 making him a very good end of rotation guy.

OK, OK, I came to that conclusion...and others (not you) agreed. He is droppable IMO, but I'm sure there will be some who disagree and are even willing to use their waiver priority on him...making it only sweeter for people like me who dropped him. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:15 am

I'd give him some time. He's hot and cold often. His upside led to a Cy Young. Beane kept him, so he must have some worth. :-b

He's been working on a 'slurve' apparently. I avoided him after he won the Cy Young because I knew he was over valued. I grabbed him this year because he fell pretty far and I ignored SP after Santana. My options were limited, but I knew what I was getting into when I drafted him.

I'll ride him out. I want every game he throws when he is on. It might get ugly, but I'm not convinced the league has him figured out.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:00 am

Im optimistic cuz Im a homer. And so is GSes. ;-)
Mo, you probably have an untainted perspective on him.
That said I will still keep him on my roster and put up with his inconsistency.

Every1 has realised noe that Harden is the ace of this staff so hopefully this takes a lil pressure off Barry.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 pm

I'd suggest that he IS droppable, b/c his issues seem to be both performance AND consistency, often within a game. If he figures it out, I think that he could easily return to form and be a good 'bargain' but the thing is, like Kerry Wood who I've watched more of, the "I struck out 7 in 5 innings but got lit up for 2 innings before I got yanked' outings are almost useless for fantasy purposes (unless you have points that somehow value k/9 > W/ Era?) as it's almost impossible to predict when they will do well.

Brett Myers had issues like this a couple of years ago, shutting out Boston and getting killed by the Expos.

That being said, I finally gave up on Zito last year in late July or August and he promptly turned it 'on'. :,-(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:58 pm

I just dropped him in my weekly points league...I already have Mulder and Vazquez as well, and he seemed like the one everyone was the most afraid of not returning to form. Of course, someone picked him up immediately, so I'll look like a fool if he gets his stuff back. I will use the spot to rotate in two start guys.

All I know is that Macha is saying "he looked the best he has in years" after his last start...He gave up like 4 runs (yeah I know, on a home run). :-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:28 pm

slomo007 wrote:I dropped him in the only league I drafted him in. He's droppable in most 10-12 team leagues IMO.

Slomo, if you don't like him that much, trade him. You can always find a sucker to get him cheap.

Me, I'm buying.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:50 pm

Another start, another trademark Zito big inning blowup.

So who's finally deciding to drop him? C'mon, I know you're out there. Join the club, there's plenty of room on the bus.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers