Borowski versus Hawkins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Borowski versus Hawkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:07 pm

Aparently Borowski was pitching real well in ST and was scheduled to be the cubs closer. This injury was just a fluke injury not on relating to his shoulder or elbow, I think he gets the closer role back and will be putting him in my DL slot real soon.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby inkognito » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:42 pm

gtabaplayr1: That's exactly what I'm thinking about, you never have enough closers :-D But in my league, we have limited moves, and every bust move could turn into a big mistake at the end of the season and especially in the playoffs, where every move can be good.

I fear that Borowski could be a big bust and don't want to waste a single pick. Besides, even if he gets the closer role right after he comes back from the injury, he may easily create more damage than gain. Even if you give him a chance for just three starts in one week, he could destroy your pitching in that week and steal a few points from you that may decide whether you'll make it to the top-2 or top-6 at the end of regular fantasy season in your league. Remeber guys like Wickman, Koch and - oh - Borowski last season :-t
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:47 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think you guys are forgetting the fact that Hawkins has actually said that he would prefer if Borowski closes and he sets up. He feels like it gives the bullpen some regularity. That, and he's about as mentally tough as Jose Contreras. :-b

Borowski takes the job.

DING! Troy is hated these days more than the six-fingered freak of yesteryear. Borowski will get the nod if his little league numbers hold true during rehab. He'll get a setup option the first 2 outings but will get the nod over Hawkins as he implodes within the next month and 1/2.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:22 pm

It won't take a Hawkins implosion for Borowski to get the job back. In spring training Borowski was throwing with the velocity he had in 2003, and was commanding all his pitches. Baker is a player's manager, and if Hawkins wants to pass the torch to Borowski once he's healthy, I see that happening in a rather smooth transition.
It seems to be quite trendy on these boards to slam Dusty Baker for being a madman. Undeserved if you ask me.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RawTalent » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 pm

I think Dusty will keep Hawkins the closer. Take a look at some of the comments he has given about Hawkins:

http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?spor ... e&name=738

Obviously, Baker has more confidence in Latroy than Latroy does...at this point. But if Latroy gets going over the next few weeks (as he already has been), then I think Dusty's encouragement might help him get over a block. Dusty clearly realizes that Latroy has the best stuff to be the closer, so he's got good reason to try to build Latroy's confidence up.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bselig » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Borowski will close if he demonstrates an ability to pitch marginally well when he comes back...but who knows how long he will hold the job once he has it
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers