Borowski versus Hawkins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Borowski versus Hawkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Borowski versus Hawkins

Postby inkognito » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:27 pm

Sorry for not posting this in the closers thread, but I'd like to collect as many opinions as possible here...

Borowski is going to return in 2-3 weeks. They say he looks very good and most of the news-makers expect him to re-gain the closer role. What do you think?

I don't think it would be a smart move by the Cubs. Hawkins was not a consistent closer for the Twins in 2000 and 2001, but he IS a very quality reliever - not only his ERA, but also his WHIP and K/BB over the last few years are nice. He also did not do bad (though he blew 9) last year as Cubs' closer. Borowski's one and only closer year was 2003.

Why would they turn back to Borowski after he returns? Hawkins is simply a better pitcher and the argument that he was not "born" a closer is completely wrong. Borowski is six months older and has 44 saves in his career while Hawkins has 72.
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Because Baker does not believe that players lose their positions due to injury. I believe he'll close.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Area51's » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:42 pm

Hawkins is the better pitcher at this point; Its been a long time since Borowski was in fact the closer, and Hawkins has been somewhat solid as of late............which leads me to my decision:

You can't outguess Dusty Baker! I am guessing Neifi Perez will close sometime soon. I'm a LaTroy owner, and another owner has Borowski. The way I look at it is; if Hawkins stays the closer, he will be good at times and shaky at other times; if he moves back to setup, where it seems (and a whole lot of stats over the last few years say) that he is more comfortable, I hope to ride one of the better setup men.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby inkognito » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:43 pm

rlee wrote:Because Baker does not believe that players lose their positions due to injury. I believe he'll close.

Well, but why should we believe that Borowski will pitch like he did in 2003? I don't think he'll ever be able to repeat such numbers. If the injury bothers him any bit, he could be as terrible as last year.
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:46 pm

Hawkins will close IMO unless Borowski suddenly regains 2003 form which I see as unlikely. Even if Borowski gets it when he returns I think Hawkins will have it by the end of the year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby inkognito » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:52 pm

Why did Borowski pitch in 10 games over 4 years between 1998-2001? Why did his first acceptable season come in 2002 when he was 31? It all seems to me that 2003 was just a coincidence and good luck for Borowski (I'm saying this even though I picked him from free agency that year and he helped me a lot in the 2003 fantasy season). He'd never even get a save opportunity if Alfonseca hadn't completely implode that year. He is not a natural closer. He is not a good reliever and he is very injury prone.

If Baker has something like sense for logicality, he has to keep Hawkins in the closer role - at least until he starts blowing it up, then it would be legitimate to give the chance to Borowski once again. So far it seems Hawkins is very happy to close games.
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:54 pm

I think you guys are forgetting the fact that Hawkins has actually said that he would prefer if Borowski closes and he sets up. He feels like it gives the bullpen some regularity. That, and he's about as mentally tough as Jose Contreras. :-b

Borowski takes the job.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:01 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think you guys are forgetting the fact that Hawkins has actually said that he would prefer if Borowski closes and he sets up. He feels like it gives the bullpen some regularity. That, and he's about as mentally tough as Jose Contreras. :-b

Borowski takes the job.

hawkins saying that only makes me think he will keep the job because dusty baker is that crazy.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Borowski will get his closer job back.

LaTroy does not want to close.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:04 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I think you guys are forgetting the fact that Hawkins has actually said that he would prefer if Borowski closes and he sets up. He feels like it gives the bullpen some regularity. That, and he's about as mentally tough as Jose Contreras. :-b

Borowski takes the job.

hawkins saying that only makes me think he will keep the job because dusty baker is that crazy.

LOL, that is a very good point. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers