Yahoo rankings??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo rankings???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo rankings???

Postby Cobra_Kai » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 am

Anyone else use Yahoo for their fantasy leagues? Anyway, they have two different rankings..the "o-rank" which basically is an overall rank of a player, based on past and current seasons, and the "rank" which is how they have performed so far this season. Obviously, both change throughout the year. Today was the firs ttime they have updated the "o-rank"...and it totally blows my mind. Some of these rankings make no sense! For instance, in the first "o-rank" of the year, Richie Sexson was like an 86..meaning he was among the top 86 projected fantasy players out there. After a hot start which left his "rank" at 80, his new "o-rank" is 442! WTF?? I had him ini a trade which now looks like crap because when you view it, it looks like I'm trying to trade a player ranked in the 400's for a SP in the low 100s...

Anyways, anybody have any idea as to the logic of this system??
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby waterproof » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:26 am

I don't know how it works, but I agree that it's pretty messed up
Last edited by waterproof on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:32 am

Maybe O-Rank is a moving 3 year average... so instead of his 02-04 stats making up his O-Rank, now it's his 03-05. With last year (only 90 AB's) now making up pretty much 50% of his O-Rank it would be lower than if last year only made up 33% of his O-Rank. Just a thought, I don't actually know how they come up with O-Ranks.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Toe Jam » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 am

If you are in a league with guys who are REMOTELY familiar with baseball, then rankings should make no difference. Every player should be familiar with their team and the needs of that team. If they don't know a player and can't do the research to see how good the player is, then you should beat them anyways.

As far as the topic, YAHOO ranks are nearly worthless. If you pay attention to them, you will lose.
Toe Jam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseballnewb » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:41 am

What LBJ said is probably the truth looking at who moved up and who moved down.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RawTalent » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:46 am

Toe Jam wrote:If you are in a league with guys who are REMOTELY familiar with baseball, then rankings should make no difference. Every player should be familiar with their team and the needs of that team. If they don't know a player and can't do the research to see how good the player is, then you should beat them anyways.

As far as the topic, YAHOO ranks are nearly worthless. If you pay attention to them, you will lose.

I wouldn't say they're completely worthless. I mean, say I'm trying to trade Mauer for a closer, and a guy looks at the Yahoo rankings and thinks that I'm trying to rip him off. After all, that's the only thing someone sees when you first click on the "details" of a trade proposal. Just because they don't represent the truth, it doesn't render them worthless. Just take a look at the Swift Boat Veterans Ads - as complete as those fabrications were, they still helped Bush win the election.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaybeNextYear » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:48 am

Yahoo! says:

O-Rank: Player's overall Yahoo! Sports ranking (based on current and prior seasons)

I think it's a 3-year average. If that's it then it can only really be accurate for players who have been established and healthy for the past few years.
MaybeNextYear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RawTalent » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:54 am

Thanks for the clarifications. That makes some sense, except for the fact that people like Mauer and Burnett were much higher at the beginning of the season, so it's strange to see their rankings go down given that they've been performing pretty well.

Anyway, I just wanted to defend "paying attention to Yahoo rankings;" they're going to have some influence on transactions. I'm not saying that you should go by the rankings, but if you're not paying attention to them, then you're ignoring a part of fantasy baseball that can have influence on other owners, even if that influence is a bad one.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Toe Jam » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:28 am

I realize people do pay attention to those rankings, but those are the people that will lose in the end. The only time it hurts you is if you are trying to trade with those particular guys. Try using a different startegy. Trade a lesser player that may have a pretty good ranking for a great player with an unusually low ranking.

The point is that these rankings can only be used to screw those managers that just don't know any better.
Toe Jam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ktown » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:36 am

i think that the new rankings they released are the 3-year rolling avgs. they may be weighted to give current stats more value too.
for the pre-season rankings though, i believe that they used a manual ranking to determine o-rank. that way guys like sexson would have a draft ranking close to his actual value instead of being listed way down due to his injury last year.
this means that guys who were out for part of last year suddenly fell in the o-rank. it's based on past stats, not actual value.
now is the time to go fishing for trades with someone who depends on the rankings too much.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers