Is Kim healthy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Kim healthy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Kim healthy?

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 11:23 am

I know he pitched 6 scoreless in his last minor league game and was supposed to pitch tomorrow, but ESPN today says he may not be ready. Any news?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Super GM » Thu May 15, 2003 11:30 am

Pitching six scoreless innings for Arizona doesn't mean much these days because the D'backs aren't able to score any runs of their one. I'd stay away from Kim. i already dropped him in my league and added Mike Hampton. Was that a good move? I don't know...But I'm sure Hampton will get me more wins than Kim. I also think Hampton will have a pretty good year now that he's put in some work with Leo Mazzone at the "pitching University".
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 11:35 am

Hampton is starting to look better. Kim's numbers really aren't that bad this year with a 4 ERA and nice WHIP. I have to think that Arizona is going to break out of their slump and start winning. I think Kim will end with more Ws than Hampton.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Super GM » Thu May 15, 2003 11:39 am

Do you consider an ERA of 4 decent? I don't! Kim only has 1 Win I don't think he'll end up with more wins than Hampton. Plus, Mike Hampton pitches for the Braves, and they've been on a rampage lately....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Thu May 15, 2003 12:10 pm

An ERA of 4.00 is pretty decent, given that it's backed up by a WHIP of 1.14. Usually a WHIP that low indicates an ERA around 3.00, so it shows that Kim has probably had bad luck so far and his ERA will go down. Also, the league average for ERA is around 4.60 or something, so yes that is decent. Better than Greg Maddux or Derek Lowe's ERAs at any rate.

I don't think the DBacks can possibly continue to give such pathetic run support. After all, they have won their division the last two years, and that can't be entirely on the shoulders of RJ and Schilling, they have a decent offense and it will get rolling.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu May 15, 2003 12:17 pm

Have you seen any signs of life coming from the D'backs offense? I haven't. They're starting rotation is horrible. They have the best 1-2 punch in Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. Assuming they're both healthy. Now what exactly is it the Diamondbacks have done without RJ and Schilling?! NOTHING! Last year it was Rick Helling who sucked this year it's the whole back end of the rotation. And that includes Kim.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Thu May 15, 2003 12:22 pm

They have been scoring 5-6 runs per game most games for the last little while and have started going on a bit of a roll. The series last week against the Phillies in Arizona, I definitely saw signs of life in their offense when I made the mistake of starting Padilla against it. Kim has not been bad at all..........as his 1.14 WHIP shows. In fact, he is probably their 2nd best starter once he comes back. I've always thought WHIP is a better measure of effectiveness than ERA anyway, because ERA tends to be luck driven.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu May 15, 2003 12:41 pm

Kim was great as a closer last year. He's just not effective as a starter. Mainly because he doesn't hav the stamina...He wears down too fast and that makes him easier to hit. I measure pitchers by there ERA and not by there WHIP. The ERA is what counts for me. What good does it do if somebody has a whip of 1.14 if he gives up an average of 4 runs per game. That doesn't get him a win...It gets him a LOSS! Maddux hasn't been great this year either. In fact he's been pretty bad in his last couple of outings....But with Maddux I'm pretty sure he'll turn things around. with Kim I'm not. That's why I dropped him. Even Brandon Webb is more effective than Kim....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kvillantz18 » Thu May 15, 2003 6:38 pm

Kim will always help you with strikeouts.
Up in here?
kvillantz18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri May 16, 2003 8:23 am

Super GM

You don't seem to be very in touch with the ebb and flow of the long baseball season. Two weeks ago we were saying that it doesn't look like anyone can beat the Yankees and the Tigers can't score more than 2 a game.

You also say Kim doesn't have the stamina and wears down too fast. What information do you base this statement on?

I may not know everything, but at least I don't act like I do.

jdh - you're right. whip is normally more telling of a pitcher's effectiveness
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers