An SS for Nomar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An SS for Nomar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An SS for Nomar?

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:37 am

Maybe this should be in a different forum, but I'm looking for advice on who to pick up for the injured Nomar. Hitting categories: R, HR, RBI, Net-Steals, OBP, SLG. I'm at the bottom in steals right now and don't have many base-stealers on my team.

Available shortstops:
Omar Vizquel
Cesar Izturis
Julio Lugo
Jose Reyes
Angel Berroa
Orlando Cabrera
Marcos Scutaro
Jason Bartlett
Russ Adams

Needing steals but not wanting to be killed in OBP/SLG, any help would be appreciated.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:41 am

grab reyes and run ;-D

and there is a forum for pick-ups and advice ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby gostanford07 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:44 am

ensanimal wrote:grab reyes and run ;-D

and there is a forum for pick-ups and advice ;-D

ditto what he said lol. Im rele not that sold on Reyes, but as far as Im concerned, theres a big drop off between him and the others. Maybe Ocab is up there, but hes struggling right now. If your looking for purely speed, I would definitly go with Reyes.
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby tomkatt » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:09 am

Reyes ;-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:33 am

In what kind of league is Jose Reyes available?
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:05 pm

Reyes has the potential, granted. But if anyone has had him in thier lineup everyday so far, you know that he will be much more valuable next year, or when he learns how to take a pitch. He has killed your OBP, SLG, and AVG. He has not walked once yet this year and he only has 5 multi hit games thus far, all of which cam when he had at least 5 AB's.

For a leadoff guy, and a fantasy shortstop, I rank him, thus far, in the bottom 25 percentile. Lugo is a more solid pick because he gets on base more, plays on a lineup that RELIES on sb's and stretching singles into doubles, etc.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:33 pm

mcmahojl wrote:Reyes has the potential, granted. But if anyone has had him in thier lineup everyday so far, you know that he will be much more valuable next year, or when he learns how to take a pitch. He has killed your OBP, SLG, and AVG. He has not walked once yet this year and he only has 5 multi hit games thus far, all of which cam when he had at least 5 AB's.

For a leadoff guy, and a fantasy shortstop, I rank him, thus far, in the bottom 25 percentile. Lugo is a more solid pick because he gets on base more, plays on a lineup that RELIES on sb's and stretching singles into doubles, etc.

I cant agree less with your statement about the bottom 25th percentile for a fantasy shortshop unfortunatelly. In 5X5, he is 3rd in hr's 4th in runs, 11th in rbi's but he's a leadoff, and 5th in steals with plenty more to come. His 270 avg while not optimal of course isn't horrible to offset the rest of his characteristics. You say bottom 25% for fantasy shortstops I say top 25% for fantasy shortstops.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:34 pm

Reyes has much more value in a 5X5 league. My league includes OBP and SGL and not AVG, so he's not nearly as valuable. His ZERO walks so far this year is a red flag. Getting 650 plate appearances from a guy with a sub-.300 OBP is a killer in that category.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Return to Baseball Leftovers