Hard public league ethical issue (Harden Waiver). - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hard public league ethical issue (Harden Waiver).

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hard public league ethical issue (Harden Waiver).

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:53 pm

Ok so I'm in an ESPN public league w/my friend that is just full of scumbags. ESPN rarely vetoes trades and they have vetoed like 4 in that league already (some RIDICULOUS lopsided ones), there's some people that have like 7 closers (well that's more foolish than scumbag, but I digress), etc. Anyway, funny enough one of the guys who got his trade vetoed today (he was on the side getting WAY too much) by ESPN just accidentally put Harden on waivers. Since I passed on picking up Jaret Wright, I now have #1 Priority. The guy sent out a league-wide e-mail saying it was a mistake and not to pick him up. The problem is there are so many shady characters in that league that it's almost guaranteed imo that one of them will pick him up (and likely say they didn't read the e-mail or something, which is possible too); since the league is so shady my friend and I (I'm 1 and he's 2 right now) are really dedicated to beating these shady guys who have offered us like a million awful trades and responded to our own offers with awful trades. I would be PISSED if I did nothing here and then one of those jackasses picks up Harden and wins the league because of it, I would basically feel like I wasted my money and the cheaters won, but at the same time I have no desire to be cheap. So wtf do I do?
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 pm

If the guy dropped him, he dropped him, he doesn't get a redo. It's pretty hard to drop a guy by accident anyway. And you're right, if you don't pick him up, somebody else will.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:05 pm

Hehe he just changed his team name to "Accidentally Dropped Harden."
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:07 pm

If it is for money and those managers have cheated before, why not do it?
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:09 pm

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:If it is for money and those managers have cheated before, why not do it?

Well it's ESPN, the prize is just a stupid t-shirt. "Cheated" is a little hyperbolic of me, they have just proposed very unfair trades and even had some accepted and vetoed (which as I mentioned rarely happens in ESPN since ESPN decides whether a trade should be vetoed and I've seen them uphold some very unfair trades).
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nikku88 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:27 pm

How do you accidently drop someone? It's not just one button.
There are no redos in fb. Claim him.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:06 am

well, it'd be kinda crappy to claim him if he got dropped accidentally...

but it would be crappier if someone else picked him up.

if you care more about beating these guys than being nice (or if you are very confident that someone else will pick him up and you don't care about the appearance of being nice), then grab him.

or ask ESPN to intervene and re-add him to the dude's team...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:08 am

I accidentally dropped Dmitri Young last year in a Yahoo public league. I was trying to drop Eric Hinske and Young was the name right above Hinske. The process of clicking two buttons had become kinda reflexive instead of deliberate cuz you've made so many roster changes so by the time I realized it was Dmitri and not Eric I already dropped him. And I did send out a message saying I dropped him by accident don't pick him up. And no somebody did pick him up. But I won the league anyways despite this monumental blunder.

I feel for the guy who dropped Harden. I guess he should find a better league where the owners have integrity and would be willing to let him get him back.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby asumikey222 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:14 am

Iconoclastic wrote:I accidentally dropped Dmitri Young last year in a Yahoo public league. I was trying to drop Eric Hinske and Young was the name right above Hinske. The process of clicking two buttons had become kinda reflexive instead of deliberate cuz you've made so many roster changes so by the time I realized it was Dmitri and not Eric I already dropped him. And I did send out a message saying I dropped him by accident don't pick him up. And no somebody did pick him up. But I won the league anyways despite this monumental blunder.

I feel for the guy who dropped Harden. I guess he should find a better league where the owners have integrity and would be willing to let him get him back.

Well though I am ethical, no I do not feel bad for him. A) he needs to take responsibility for his mistake (in a private league, this would not even be an issue, but in a public league there is no way to account for how 9 other random people will act) and B) this is his trade that just got vetoed by ESPN today-- he sends Wickman, Hinske, Everett, he GETS Mulder and Aramis. He has also offered far worse trades than that. Now someone (like him) might be of the opinion that anything goes and if someone accepts a trade then it's their own stupid fault and you should be able to take advantage unless ESPN steps in, but then it's hypocritical to turn around and say "oh everybody please be nice and don't take advantage of my mistake" when all this guy does is try to take advantage of people. So no I do not feel sorry for him. I'm still debating it, and if he can get ESPN to step in great for him, if not oh well you live by the sword you die by the sword.

Here are some of the trades he has offered me just for fun:

Week 1- I give Abreu, and get Wickman and Alou.
Week 1- I give Rolen and get Berkman and McPherson
Week 1- I give Rolen and Adams and get Mota, Bradley, and McPherson
etc. etc. etc.
Last edited by asumikey222 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:16 am

One thing that would be fair is to pick up Harden after working out a deal where he essentially trades you something for the #1 waiver priority. Let him know you've put in a bid for Harden, and that you are willing to trade Harden back to the original owner. However, you don't HAVE to trade him, and he should give you something that makes it worth your while for giving up your #1 waiver priority.

If you and he can't work out a fair price for the #1 waiver, then keep Harden and don't look back.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers