Nomar Hurt! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar Hurt!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:12 pm

gpurcell wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Sundberg had to be good defensively because he could not hit a lick. As an opposition pitcher, you hardly want to plunk a weak hitter and the opposition's C to boot because that is dumb and likely would get your C plunked. Not the best way to win points with your battery mate. Let's see, buzz Nomar or buzz Barrett...Buzz Vlad or buzz Molina...yeah OK.

You know, it really is pretty tiresome when a bunch of wet-behind-the-ear fan boys who think David Cone's rookie year was ancient history fail to understand that the game has become MUCH more offense-oriented. When Sunny played, son, a .245 hittiing catcher with some pop was a pretty reasonable player.

GP, has it struck you that maybe averages and HRs are up due to a hell of a lot more crappy pitchers in today's game? Worse pitchers mean better hitters.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gpurcell » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:16 pm

Probably a combination of stronger hitters and worse pitchers.

In any event, the reason for the shift towards offense is kinda irrelevent. The point remains that comparing a late 70s Sundberg to late 00s performance standards is a bit ridiculous.
gpurcell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby matdemos » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:16 pm

I see your screwed-ness, and raise you my NL-only payroll team. I'm in a Mendoza league (http://www.mendozabaseball.com, if you are interested) and Nomar was my highest-paid player at $15.25 (those are my own honest-to-goodness dollars, btw). So not only do I have to find another SS in a 14-team NL-only, but I've got 15 bucks of deadweight on my payroll :-P .....get well soon, Nomah :~(
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews."
matdemos
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:17 pm

matdemos wrote:Not to get off-track or anything, but Rotoworld is reporting this:

Cubs placed shortstop Nomar Garciaparra on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin injury.
With the muscle torn away from the bone, Nomar is likely to miss two or three months, maybe even longer. Surgery is an option, but that won't be decided on for a little while. ``The surgery is really going to be determined by is it something that Nomar wants to do,'' trainer Mark O'Neal said. ``We're trying to make a determination of what would be the most predictable outcome.'' Neifi Perez will replace Garciaparra as the Cubs' starting shortstop.

"Muscle torn away from the bone," eh? Kinda gruesome.

So much for my wishful thinking :-/ . Thanks for the update ;-D (even though it's bad news). :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm

Madison wrote:
matdemos wrote:Not to get off-track or anything, but Rotoworld is reporting this:

Cubs placed shortstop Nomar Garciaparra on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin injury.
With the muscle torn away from the bone, Nomar is likely to miss two or three months, maybe even longer. Surgery is an option, but that won't be decided on for a little while. ``The surgery is really going to be determined by is it something that Nomar wants to do,'' trainer Mark O'Neal said. ``We're trying to make a determination of what would be the most predictable outcome.'' Neifi Perez will replace Garciaparra as the Cubs' starting shortstop.

"Muscle torn away from the bone," eh? Kinda gruesome.

So much for my wishful thinking :-/ . Thanks for the update ;-D (even though it's bad news). :-/

It's too bad Perez is a horrible substitute. I currently have Kaz who is stinking up my team average.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers