Nomar Hurt! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar Hurt!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:37 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Unavoidable nervous disorders my a**. According to Nomar, he likes the batting gloves tight. We would see how nervous he was after he took one or two 90+ mph fastballs under his chin. He going to be nervous about the batting gloves or his head getting pelted then? How unavoidable would his little act with the gloves be then? That little act (and it is an act) is done for his own self-promotion and it shows up the pitchers in addition to adding about 15 minutes to every game.


Ya, except he's done it for as long as he'd been playing baseball. I guess in little league, he was smart enough to know this would help promote his image..... :-?

Are you really that clueless to think its an act? I know when I bat I do some things that I didn't notice until someone told me. Apparently I tap my back foot while wating for the pitch. Everyone has little ticks they do. No one complains about pitchers that have their own ticks. Remember Ben Weber's windup? And Mike Mussina? They obviously do that just to promote themselves...
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby jjaeger » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:38 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Unavoidable nervous disorders my a**. According to Nomar, he likes the batting gloves tight. We would see how nervous he was after he took one or two 90+ mph fastballs under his chin. He going to be nervous about the batting gloves or his head getting pelted then? How unavoidable would his little act with the gloves be then? That little act (and it is an act) is done for his own self-promotion and it shows up the pitchers in addition to adding about 15 minutes to every game.


Nomar killed your dog, didn't he...

-j
jjaeger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 57
Joined: 4 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby DK » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm

LBJackal wrote:In my day chocolate bars used to cost a nickel! I refuse to pay $1 for them!

:-D


Oh yeah?? Well, in my old town of Hooeywhatamunkas, Kansas, I had to walk uphill both ways for seven miles in the snow and pourin' rain just to get to school!

Varmints! (ptooey!)
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm

jjaeger wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Unavoidable nervous disorders my a**. According to Nomar, he likes the batting gloves tight. We would see how nervous he was after he took one or two 90+ mph fastballs under his chin. He going to be nervous about the batting gloves or his head getting pelted then? How unavoidable would his little act with the gloves be then? That little act (and it is an act) is done for his own self-promotion and it shows up the pitchers in addition to adding about 15 minutes to every game.


Nomar killed your dog, didn't he...

-j


Actually, it was a gang that consisted of Nomar, Soriano, Kevin Brown, and Vazquez that killed his dog. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Sundberg was a .245 or so weak hitting C with no power. I am sure that whatever rituals he pulled at the plate were acceptable to opposition pitchers because of that. They probably paid his cab fare to the park.


According to Bill James he's the 32nd best catcher of all time with the best ratio of double plays to errors of any catcher in MLB history. He is the standard of defensive excellence and certainly was a team leader, a consumate profeesional, and certainly someone who if your terribly less than smart (to be nice) statement had been true about nomar getting buzzed, was certainly someone who was buzzworthy. Offensively he was below average but if you had the chance to take out the teams best defensive player by plunking him, you would. Don't rip on the guy just because you think Nomar is putting on a show.
Last edited by perlick29 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:42 pm

DK wrote:
LBJackal wrote:In my day chocolate bars used to cost a nickel! I refuse to pay $1 for them!

:-D


Oh yeah?? Well, in my old town of Hooeywhatamunkas, Kansas, I had to walk uphill both ways for seven miles in the snow and pourin' rain just to get to school!

Varmints! (ptooey!)


I once missed the bus and had to walk to blocks to school when I was younger. It was kind of cloudy. Does that count? Ptooey! :-b
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:43 pm

So what has a pitcher's delivery got to do with a guy wasting about 30 secs to a minute before each pitch OUTSIDE the batter's box? Please. That little habit of Nomar's would be broken in a hurry with a good couple of chin buzzes and if you think he is not doing it for his own self-promotion then you also probably think Clinton did not inhale. If he did it in Little League, then he was a self-promoter as a kid also...makes the case against him even worse, imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Hmm I just got an instant message from Rico the Retard. He said he let his rabid dog out of the house and it never came back. If any of you have seen him he goes by the name Yanks. He'd appreciate it. ;-)
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby gpurcell » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:47 pm

Oh, and FYI Sunny also has a world series ring.

I recall that someone went back and found that simply having Sundberg on you team led to a 10 to 15 minute longer game on average!
gpurcell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 97
Joined: 1 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:49 pm

perlick29 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Sundberg was a .245 or so weak hitting C with no power. I am sure that whatever rituals he pulled at the plate were acceptable to opposition pitchers because of that. They probably paid his cab fare to the park.


According to Bill James he's the 32nd best catcher of all time with the best ratio of double plays to errors of any catcher in MLB history. He is the standard of defensive excellence and certainly was a team leader, a consumate profeesional, and certainly someone who if your terribly less than smart (to be nice) statement had been true about nomar getting buzzed, was certainly someone who was buzzworthy. Offensively he was below average but if you had the chance to take out the teams best defensive player by plunking him, you would. Don't rip on the guy just because you think Nomar is putting on a show.


According to Bill James, Alan Embree is a fine closer so who needed Urbina?

Sundberg had to be good defensively because he could not hit a lick. As an opposition pitcher, you hardly want to plunk a weak hitter and the opposition's C to boot because that is dumb and likely would get your C plunked. Not the best way to win points with your battery mate. Let's see, buzz Nomar or buzz Barrett...Buzz Vlad or buzz Molina...yeah OK.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 1:26 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact