Pitching strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching strategy

Postby drunkenmonkey » Thu May 15, 2003 4:22 am

I've been reading up a lot on a strategy called streaming where you rotate your starting pitchers every day to get the more starts every day in a head to head league with no maximum innings for pitchers. I am in three leagues. I am one and two in two of them, but my third is wavering between fourth and sixth, so I decided to give it a shot.

My league starts any combination of nine pitchers a day (SP & RP)

I have four starting pitchers I stick with -- Zito, Mussina, R Hernandez, and Mulder
I have four closers I stick with -- MacDougal, Williamson, Guardado, and Jorge Julio (thinking about dumping for Politte)

The rest of my pitchers (five spots) I have begun rotating daily so that I have at least three or four starting pitchers a day. I pick from the best pitchers and matchups for the following day who are still available. Most of the pitchers I drop I can usually pick up again, because everyone else in my league is pretty much staying pat with what they have. I figure I'll clean up in wins, saves, and Ks and take a gamble with ERA and WHIP -- win some and lose more. That gives me at least three of the five pitching categories and my offense is pretty solid, so I should take at least six wins a week.

What does everyone think of this strategy? Will it pull me out of the middle of the pack and into the playoffs (four teams make it). Any other suggestions?
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Thu May 15, 2003 4:32 am

If you really want to work the strategy to your favor, trade your SP's away for top hitters, then use waiver wire guys all the time.

The startegy, while legal, will tend to piss people off since it is not really the intent of the rule in most casual players opinions.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Thu May 15, 2003 4:36 am

...and keep in mind there is a fairly simple defense to your strategy. It is called 'waiver wire churning'. If I were playing you, I would pick up and waive every starter before you got a chance to use them.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 15, 2003 9:33 am

I haven't had to do the 'waiver wire churning' this year but last year Yahoo would only let you pick up and drop 2 players on the same day. So when you picked up the 3rd player you had to keep him on your roster for a day.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby drunkenmonkey » Thu May 15, 2003 10:17 pm

Not sure about Yahoo rules, but I haven't had any problems so far. Actually, I am only doing two pitchers a day that way. By only doing two, I am actually able to get some decent pitchers (today I had Ryan Franklin and Weaver). Also, that allows me to keep a couple of fringe guys like Brandon Webb and Carlos Zambrano that may turn out to be aces. Only two pitchers a day is not completely rearranging my lineup, but it is still getting me many more starts than my opponent.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby 9er Fan » Fri May 16, 2003 2:49 pm

If you're going down that path, Zito, Mussina, R Hernandez and Mulder should be traded for hitting/saves. That way, you dominate hitting, and are pretty much guaranteed saves, wins and SO's every week.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers