Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Movie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Movie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 06, 2005 3:26 pm

My favorite part of the book is the "infinite improbabilty drive"... the spaceship powered by the chimpanzees with typewriters etc. :-D

I hear the film is absolute and utter rubbish unfortunately.. it just doesn't seem like the kind of book that would translate well into a hollywood mass market film.

I'm much more excited for Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly film that's coming out this summer. Man I'm keyed up for that one. B-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 06, 2005 3:28 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:My favorite part of the book is the "infinite improbabilty drive"... the spaceship powered by the chimpanzees with typewriters etc. :-D

I hear the film is absolute and utter rubbish unfortunately.. it just doesn't seem like the kind of book that would translate well into a hollywood mass market film.

I'm much more excited for Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly film that's coming out this summer. Man I'm keyed up for that one. B-)

People here seem to like the movie
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 06, 2005 4:01 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:I'm much more excited for Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly film that's coming out this summer. Man I'm keyed up for that one. B-)

I am looking forward to it too. Although I think Keanu Reeves was a strange choice and I think this will be a very tough book to turn into a movie. Great book though and I'm hoping for the best. I would say that I'm a big Dick fan but I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. :-]

Also, the movie is in post-production but I was under the impression that it wasn't going to be released until 2006. Have you seen something that said otherwise?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 06, 2005 4:49 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I admit I've only read reviews by film critics, and they panned it. Film critics are constantly wrong though.

Amazinz wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:I'm much more excited for Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly film that's coming out this summer. Man I'm keyed up for that one. B-)

I am looking forward to it too. Although I think Keanu Reeves was a strange choice and I think this will be a very tough book to turn into a movie. Great book though and I'm hoping for the best. I would say that I'm a big Dick fan but I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. :-]

Also, the movie is in post-production but I was under the impression that it wasn't going to be released until 2006. Have you seen something that said otherwise?

The trailer here at Yahoo:

A Scanner Darkly B-)

says the film is scheduled for a September 16th release this year. Guess I was a little off on the date. Keanu Reeves is an odd choice to play the confused protagonist, but you gotta admit that Linklater animation looks awesome, and the scramble suits look cool as heck too.

I admit I have a fairly serious Philip K Dick obsession, just as my username and location would imply. I've heard all the jokes- "You're a Dick-head, Gee you must love the Dick" and a bunch more as well. :-b

I'd be interested in talking PKD sometime if you wanna Amazinz.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 06, 2005 5:21 pm

Wow. I didn't realize the trailer was out. Thanks for posting that. I'm amped up now. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 06, 2005 6:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:Wow. I didn't realize the trailer was out. Thanks for posting that. I'm amped up now. :-D

Moi aussi, mon amis. ;-D

Unlike Stephen King, PKD transfers to film quite well. Minority Report, Total Recall, etc are some of my all-time faves.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quietstorm » Sat May 07, 2005 1:22 am

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I admit I've only read reviews by film critics, and they panned it. Film critics are constantly wrong though.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

They gave it better reviews than most comedies. Usually, comedies end up somewhere below 50%. H2G2 was "Fresh" at over 60%. (60% is "Fresh," 75% is "Certified Fresh.")

Amazinz wrote:

I am looking forward to it too. Although I think Keanu Reeves was a strange choice and I think this will be a very tough book to turn into a movie.

Strange choice? Hah. Understatement. Keanu might be the worst actor ever... in fact, I think using the word "actor" is a bit excessive. Keanu is like Vin Diesel without the tough guy image. He has no talent and no image to carry him in lieu of real ability.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Sat May 07, 2005 9:12 am

quietstorm wrote: Keanu might be the worst actor ever... in fact, I think using the word "actor" is a bit excessive. Keanu is like Vin Diesel without the tough guy image. He has no talent and no image to carry him in lieu of real ability.

"Woah." :-b

I liked him in the Matrix though.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat May 07, 2005 10:56 am

quietstorm wrote:Strange choice? Hah. Understatement. Keanu might be the worst actor ever... in fact, I think using the word "actor" is a bit excessive. Keanu is like Vin Diesel without the tough guy image. He has no talent and no image to carry him in lieu of real ability.

Are you implying that Vin Diesel has no talent? Because if you are, you are thick as a brick. He has loads of talent. Did you know: Vin Diesel does not just order a steak but rather unhinges his jaw and eats the entire cow.

Vin Diesel created rainbows to distract people before he punches them in the teeth. According to him, it worked on Mother Theresa.

Vin Diesel calculated the exact number of digits in pi but if he were to tell you what it was you would die from old age before he told you the whole number.

He truly is a fascinating human being and I won't hear any disparaging his talent.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 09, 2005 6:09 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
quietstorm wrote:Strange choice? Hah. Understatement. Keanu might be the worst actor ever... in fact, I think using the word "actor" is a bit excessive. Keanu is like Vin Diesel without the tough guy image. He has no talent and no image to carry him in lieu of real ability.

Are you implying that Vin Diesel has no talent? Because if you are, you are thick as a brick. He has loads of talent. Did you know: Vin Diesel does not just order a steak but rather unhinges his jaw and eats the entire cow.

Vin Diesel created rainbows to distract people before he punches them in the teeth. According to him, it worked on Mother Theresa.

Vin Diesel calculated the exact number of digits in pi but if he were to tell you what it was you would die from old age before he told you the whole number.

He truly is a fascinating human being and I won't hear any disparaging his talent.

um... ok

anyways I saw the movie and it was pretty good! I liked it a fun movie and all..I need to see it again since I was about 6 beers into the night at the theater and had to pee really bad
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk