Who would you take??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who would you take???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would you take???

Postby accohen » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:47 pm

I have the 2nd pick in an upcoming draft....which is actually of the 8th round (7 keepers, 6 x 6, mixed, very deep, 23 man active roster)....some guys which I project to be around at that pick are: Odalis Perez, Al Leiter, Joel Pineiro, Kevin Brown, Rafael Palmeiro, Junior Spivey, Edgar Renteria, Christian Guzman, Phil Nevin, Aaron Boone, Aramis Ramirez, Vernon Wells, Mike Cameron, Austin Kearns, Hideki Matsui, amongst others....

Out of those guys, who would you want most and why??? I will most likely go into the draft with 3 SP, 2 OF, 1 1B, 1 SS....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:55 pm

Nevin is the guy that stands out to me. If he is healthy this year he will be a top 3 3rd baseman. Plus he is probally 1B elligible also. If you want a keeper take Wells.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:12 pm

Depends on what your league rules are for position eligibilty. Very few people realize that Aaron Boone played 16 games at SS last year, and almost went 30-30. He's gonna come close to that this year, and that makes him the #3 or #4 SS on the board. Think about it.
"Dat's what dis team's all about: playin' defense and breakin' hearts."---Torii Hunter, 2002
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby accohen » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:15 pm

Eligibility rules in my league: only qualifies at position he played MOST at the previous season; also qualifies at a new position if plays 10 games during the season...FYI
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:17 pm

Well, then you won't et Boone at SS. With the addition of Felipe Lopez and Larkin still around, Boone will man 3B most admirably. Who do you currently have at 3rd?? He still might be good for you.
"Dat's what dis team's all about: playin' defense and breakin' hearts."---Torii Hunter, 2002
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:06 pm

I would take Kearns, since long range he might have the highest ceiling, a good keeper. Nevin would be my 2nd choice.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

who to take

Postby metsfan1969 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:42 pm

Having watched Vernon Wells play in Syracuse for awhile, I would say he has a tremendous amount of potential. He could be a great player.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

choose one

Postby hbj79 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:49 am

I think Odalis Perez and Austin kearns stand out. The easy third is Vernon Wells. Don't take Boone his avg. sucks and he will slip anyways. I might say Kearns over Perez except that Perez seems to be the only young stand out starting pitcher left in your league. He should be very good and in L.A. you know he won't be bad.
hbj79

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:29 am

Matsui or Nevin would be my pick. Either that or a phat Starting Pitcher like Nomo or that other Japanese guy who got hit in the face from the dodgers.

;-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:28 am

I'd go with Nevin here, although it's a tough call with the talent available. I'd also love to land Matsui a bit later, but don't fret it if he's taken before you have the chance. I think Kearns has a slightly higher ceiling than Wells, although Wells may become an impact player a bit sooner. Tough call between those two...

Nice starting pitching available as well. I think it's hard to go terribly wrong with your first pick - it'll be interesting to see which of these players make it through to the second and third rounds, though...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers