Where are the Dusty "haters"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where are the Dusty "haters"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

moron

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:55 am

I was called a moron by others but you provided evidence that supported the fact that you believed such the same. You kept showing all kinds of stats about poitch counts and I just stated that its retarded to throw ALL pitchers in the same bag! Dnag man, admit you were making a big deal of the pitch counts and didnt believe either could keep it up all year. Youre dancing around the real heart of this! I said they would last and, in one way or another (however you choose to word it) you said there was no way - statistically or rationally. And why go back to the surgery EVERYTIME? Seems to me hes pitched pretty darn well the last 2 years AND hes a better PITCHER now. He doesnt have as many throwing starts as he did early in his career.
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:57 am

HOOTIE wrote:
CorySnyder wrote: Hootie - this is what I was refering to, as well as all the other post on this subject. I was theonly one to back dusty and have faith in prior and wood. I may have looked like a moron in may (to you guys at least) but I looked like a genius in Sept and Oct when I won my league and cheered the Cubbies in the playoffs. I was just trying to show that I won the argument when evryone was calling me an idiot at the beginning of the year Thats all


You won your league. How can you say you won any argument? Can you be 100% sure, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, or any other young pitcher subjected to abuse, will have a long and healthy career? Btw, i never ever stated don't have those pitchers on your fantasy team.


You all said they couldnt keep the pace up and didnt think they could last the YEAR not their career. I did, and therefore won the argument. What is so hard to understand about that? You can throw stats at me in MAy and others call me an idiot - but when I prove you all wrong, I cant say anything? I was right about them lasting the year minus injury and you all were not PERIOD Youre starting another debate thats not even worth starting when talking about WHOLE careers man...
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: moron

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:04 am

CorySnyder wrote: You kept showing all kinds of stats about poitch counts and I just stated that its retarded to throw ALL pitchers in the same bag! Dnag man, admit you were making a big deal of the pitch counts and didnt believe either could keep it up all year. Youre dancing around the real heart of this! I said they would last and, in one way or another (however you choose to word it) you said there was no way - statistically or rationally.


I never said they wouldn't make it through the year lol. I said pitch counts are risky. They made it through the year. That doesn't prove anything.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:13 am

its obvious youre not going to man up and admitt you were wrong.. youre just looking for ways out now. You jumped into the topic and knew what the argument was and now youre trying to back out. If you thought Wood would last the season, why countlessly show the pitch counts and back people that called me moron and so forth? How can you not say I was right if you go back and read my 1st. middle and last posts? Whatever allows you to sleep at night man but its painfully aware that this arguing is a losing battle b/c you somehow believe you were right by backpedaling and saying career now which is ridiculous.. ummm Andruw Jones will have his career shortened because of his wreckless D So when he plays 13 years, ill say he could have played 16 if not for his D See what Im saying ITS A LUDICROUS ARGUMENT. Im done though cause I know I was right while you all were wrong. Thats why i started the topic in May and am ending it now. The 2003 season shows how was right and wrong. And I never said anything about career anywhere, I was talking about the season many thought Wood and Prior couldnt last at their High level of pitching while avergaing 100+ pitches
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:22 am

CorySnyder wrote: You all said they couldnt keep the pace up and didnt think they could last the YEAR not their career. I did, and therefore won the argument. What is so hard to understand about that? You can throw stats at me in MAy and others call me an idiot - but when I prove you all wrong, I cant say anything? I was right about them lasting the year minus injury and you all were not PERIOD Youre starting another debate thats not even worth starting when talking about WHOLE careers man...


CORY please show the quote where i said anything of the sort? I know what i said, and i reread my old posts. I never said they would get hurt last year, or not pitch well. I said mlb is taking pitch counts more serious, by the reduction in 120+ games. I stated the abuse Wood suffered at age 18, most likely, played a part in his injury.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:33 am

CorySnyder wrote:its obvious youre not going to man up and admitt you were wrong.. youre just looking for ways out now. You jumped into the topic and knew what the argument was and now youre trying to back out. If you thought Wood would last the season, why countlessly show the pitch counts and back people that called me moron and so forth? How can you not say I was right if you go back and read my 1st. middle and last posts? Whatever allows you to sleep at night man but its painfully aware that this arguing is a losing battle b/c you somehow believe you were right by backpedaling and saying career now which is ridiculous


Wrong about what? I never said they wouldn't last the season. I'm not backpeddling about anything lol. You are making up statements. The posts show what i said.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ramble2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:03 pm

CorySnyder,

Congratulations, Wood and Prior pitched excellent last year. However, you ought to temper your enthusiasm.

The point that Hootie and others were making is that high pitch counts increases significantly the likelihood that a pitcher is going to suffer serious damage. That Prior and Wood made it through last season pitching fine doesn't disprove anything. If you are a Cubs fan, you have to be concerned about the way Baker is using these guys. You want Wood and Prior healthy and pitching for a long time. Evidence is mounting that pitch counts need to be watched with young pitchers.

Prior and Wood are both excellent fantasy players to have on your squad. All the more reason for fantasy players to be concerned at the way Dusty is using them. Remember, it's about the increased propensity for injury. These aren't absolutes we're dealing with (a point that seems lost on you); it's about sound evidence-based risk aversion. If Baker had a principled, evidence driven reason for his pitch counts, then we could examine it. But he doesn't. It might be true that Prior's mechanics will protect him, but nobody really knows this.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby Steve_Bartman » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:39 am

How can anybody hate Dusty .. he is probably one of the best managers in baseball ...

go cubs ;-D
[color=green][b]"I ain't afraid of no goats"[/b][/color]
Steve_Bartman Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Looking for awnsers to the Paranormal, Goats, and Jinxes

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, GRIN, neuronss and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact