Where are the Dusty "haters"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where are the Dusty "haters"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jwhands » Fri May 16, 2003 11:50 pm

Why do I have to constantly listen to morons in here????? You retards are telling everyone that Wood and Prior are going to be fine, and it's the middles of May!!!!! Anyone who knows anything about baseball would realize that this kind of overwork doesn't affect the pitcher until the latter part of the season. You ever hear of a thing called dead arm???? In SF, the only pitcher Dusty would constantly give a pitch count in the 120s-130s was Livan Hernandez. He constantly had trouble getting his velocity back up to where it once was. Thanks, Dusty.

From the same article you morons base your argument on:

If Wood throws 141 pitches in a complete game, that's one thing. Over seven innings is another. Same with Mark Prior. He was pulled Monday after throwing 124 pitches over six innings.

Pitch count might not mean that much........if it's spread out through the game. Kerry Wood in his 141 pitch game:

1st-12 pitches, 2nd-16, 3rd-29. 4th-23, 5th-18, 6th-14, 7th-29.

Prior's 124 pitch game:
1st-16, 2nd-20, 3rd-28, 4th-22, 5th-21, 6th-17

You want pitchers to be in the 10-15 pitch per inning range when they're in a groove. 15-20 pitches in an inning if they get hit a little. In 3 of the 7 innings Wood pitches in, he's at 20+. 2 of the inning are just under 30 pitches!!! With this kind of constant workload, he will fade in the fall. Prior threw 20+ pitches in 4 of his 6 innings. Not good.

Being a Cubs fan, I'm hoping that Dusty doesn't kill these arms too soon. They look like they have a chance at the postseason this year, and I hope they don't ruin their chances at a World Series trip because Dusty feels the need to overwork his studs in less meaningful games in early May.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 928
Joined: 1 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Portland, OR

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 12:34 am

When you finally realize Kerry Wood is the real deal and won't have a "dead arm" because of pitch counts, you can suck on it. Why does the pitch count matter so much now-a-days. No one paid attention to pitch counts in the 50s & 60s. Teams only had 4 starters..
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HOOTIE » Sat May 17, 2003 1:27 am

Anonymous wrote:When you finally realize Kerry Wood is the real deal and won't have a "dead arm" because of pitch counts, you can suck on it. Why does the pitch count matter so much now-a-days. No one paid attention to pitch counts in the 50s & 60s. Teams only had 4 starters..


No one paid attention to smoking in the 50s either. What kind of analogy is that? Things evolve. In the 1500s, they thought the world was flat. I dont understand all this stuff Wood is the real deal, it cant possibly affect him. How many 22 year olds do you know who had their arm rebuilt? People always bring up the old days with nothing to follow it up. Its no secret pitch counts per 9 innings are much higher now then ever before. The fact Gibson went 9 innings in the 60s, is no more amazing then a guy going 7 now. The pitch counts are about the same for 7 innings to 9 then. This notion that oldtimers never got hurt and threw 200 pitches all the time would make great folklore.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat May 17, 2003 2:53 am

Just for kicks, heres Woods counts for this year in 9 games.

88
111
122
104
124
115
116
141
121

Thats a average of 116 per start, and 119 his last 8, disregarding his 1st game. 7 out of 9 games he went over 110, 4 out of 9 went over 120.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

I TOLD EVERYONE

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:35 am

Just wanted to revise this subject where everyone thought I was a moron -as was Dusty. Well I hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO. Now they just need to finish the deal and get to the Series this year WAR PRIOR WOOD CLEMENT ZAMBRANO AND DUSTY

ohhh and COME HOME Maddux!!!
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: I TOLD EVERYONE

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:48 am

CorySnyder wrote:Just wanted to revise this subject where everyone thought I was a moron -as was Dusty. Well I hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO. Now they just need to finish the deal and get to the Series this year WAR PRIOR WOOD CLEMENT ZAMBRANO AND DUSTY

ohhh and COME HOME Maddux!!!


You told us what? Wood still has the scar on his arm. He missed a year and a half of his career for it. Just after Wood was drafted in hs at age 18, he threw a game with 175 pitches in game 1, then came back and started game 2. 4 years later at age 22, he had his arm rebuilt. That high school coach should never be allowed to coach again.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

come on

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:00 am

Just admit you were wrong about Woods arm falling off last year. Most people were calling Dusty out about his mistreatment of Wood and Prior at the beginning of the year. I merely stated that Prior would definetly be Ok due to his mechanics and delivery and Wood would hold up too.. WELL, each had MONSTER seasons and almost took the Cubbies to the Series with stellar pitching in the playoffs (which by the way, if pitching counts were a great barometer to evaluate ALL pitchers, they both would have worn down in October) Instead, both pitched their best when it counted and remained healthy as I predicted and everyone kept calling out "pitch counts" That is a blanket statement that I hate hearing b/c it doesnt apply to ALL pitchers - so you shouldnt throw ALL pitchers into that bowl.

And yes, his HS coach was crazy but all that matters is the W lol Seriously though, you told me to keep Wood in another post, so how can you bash him? I just wandered back here and was looking at old posts. thats why I brought this back up... Just give wood prior and dusty the love I was giving them in May when everyone was questioning them. Thats all I ask!
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby CorySnyder » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:06 am

jwhands wrote:Why do I have to constantly listen to morons in here????? You retards are telling everyone that Wood and Prior are going to be fine, and it's the middles of May!!!!! Anyone who knows anything about baseball would realize that this kind of overwork doesn't affect the pitcher until the latter part of the season. You ever hear of a thing called dead arm???? In SF, the only pitcher Dusty would constantly give a pitch count in the 120s-130s was Livan Hernandez. He constantly had trouble getting his velocity back up to where it once was. Thanks, Dusty.

From the same article you morons base your argument on:

If Wood throws 141 pitches in a complete game, that's one thing. Over seven innings is another. Same with Mark Prior. He was pulled Monday after throwing 124 pitches over six innings.

Pitch count might not mean that much........if it's spread out through the game. Kerry Wood in his 141 pitch game:

1st-12 pitches, 2nd-16, 3rd-29. 4th-23, 5th-18, 6th-14, 7th-29.

Prior's 124 pitch game:
1st-16, 2nd-20, 3rd-28, 4th-22, 5th-21, 6th-17

You want pitchers to be in the 10-15 pitch per inning range when they're in a groove. 15-20 pitches in an inning if they get hit a little. In 3 of the 7 innings Wood pitches in, he's at 20+. 2 of the inning are just under 30 pitches!!! With this kind of constant workload, he will fade in the fall. Prior threw 20+ pitches in 4 of his 6 innings. Not good.

Being a Cubs fan, I'm hoping that Dusty doesn't kill these arms too soon. They look like they have a chance at the postseason this year, and I hope they don't ruin their chances at a World Series trip because Dusty feels the need to overwork his studs in less meaningful games in early May.




Hootie - this is what I was refering to, as well as all the other post on this subject. I was theonly one to back dusty and have faith in prior and wood. I may have looked like a moron in may (to you guys at least) but I looked like a genius in Sept and Oct when I won my league and cheered the Cubbies in the playoffs. I was just trying to show that I won the argument when evryone was calling me an idiot at the beginning of the year Thats all
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: come on

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:22 am

CorySnyder wrote:Just admit you were wrong about Woods arm falling off last year. Most people were calling Dusty out about his mistreatment of Wood and Prior at the beginning of the year. I merely stated that Prior would definetly be Ok due to his mechanics and delivery and Wood would hold up too.. WELL, each had MONSTER seasons and almost took the Cubbies to the Series with stellar pitching in the playoffs (which by the way, if pitching counts were a great barometer to evaluate ALL pitchers, they both would have worn down in October) Instead, both pitched their best when it counted and remained healthy as I predicted and everyone kept calling out "pitch counts" That is a blanket statement that I hate hearing b/c it doesnt apply to ALL pitchers - so you shouldnt throw ALL pitchers into that bowl.

And yes, his HS coach was crazy but all that matters is the W lol Seriously though, you told me to keep Wood in another post, so how can you bash him?


CORY reread all my posts. Where did i say Woods arm would fall off last year? The fact Wood, Prior, Zambrano made it through last season proves nothing. It can happen to anyone at any time, or it could never happen. It doesn't take a genius to realize throwing 120+ pitches is riskier then throwing less. Wood has already paid the price. Btw, yes, i said take Wood in my other post. I do not take a guy because he's abused. It's in the back of my mind, but no one can predict, if and when something will happen.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:31 am

CorySnyder wrote: Hootie - this is what I was refering to, as well as all the other post on this subject. I was theonly one to back dusty and have faith in prior and wood. I may have looked like a moron in may (to you guys at least) but I looked like a genius in Sept and Oct when I won my league and cheered the Cubbies in the playoffs. I was just trying to show that I won the argument when evryone was calling me an idiot at the beginning of the year Thats all


You won your league. How can you say you won any argument? Can you be 100% sure, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, or any other young pitcher subjected to abuse, will have a long and healthy career? Btw, i never ever stated don't have those pitchers on your fantasy team.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Sep. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact