Where are the Dusty "haters"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where are the Dusty "haters"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where are the Dusty "haters"?

Postby CorySnyder » Wed May 14, 2003 11:50 pm

All I ever read about is how dusty is an idiot for leaving in Wood and Prior... Pitch count this pitch count that...I personally do not think pitch counts mean crap!! They are good to an extent but once someone get to 100-110 pitches DOES NOT mean you have to taken out It depends on whether or not your guy can handle the load!! Prior has flawless mechanics and Wood was throwing gas NO hooks when their pitch counts were high Dusty knew they had it going and trusted in them Now my point is this... Zambrano easily could have had a complete game tonight they won 6-1 He had 109 pitches and Dusty pulled him Zambrano was on his game with 7(?) k's and 1 BB Thing is Dusty didnt have the confidence in carolos arm mentality or something I am just justifying why Dusty know what he is doing and the top 2 for chicago will be fine!!
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where are the Dusty "haters"?

Postby HOOTIE » Thu May 15, 2003 4:21 am

[quote="CorySnyder"]All I ever read about is how dusty is an idiot for leaving in Wood and Prior... Pitch count this pitch count that...I personally do not think pitch counts mean crap!! They are good to an extent but once someone get to 100-110 pitches DOES NOT mean you have to taken out It depends on whether or not your guy can handle the load![/quote

BB is taking pitch counts seriously. 3 years ago, there were 414 120+ pitch count games. Last year that was cut in half to 193. Unless you have a crystal ball, no one knows what pitchers will be effected, and which ones wont. You say Wood can handle it. He has a scar on his arm that says something went wrong somewhere? Throwing overhand is unnatural, and stresses the arm. The arm was made to throw underhand. Its not that hard to figure out, the more innings or pitches, the more stress.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 15, 2003 9:29 am

141 pitches for a 25 year old who has already had major arm surgury is just plain stupid.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby Amnorix » Thu May 15, 2003 12:14 pm

That's great. You go big guy. No doubt Dusty's right and all will be well and good.

For the sake of Wood and Prior, who seem to be terrific young talents, I hope they do stay healthy. But if either one of them blows out his arm, then this pitch count issue will become the reason Cubbies fans will want to rip Baker's head off.

I'm a Sox fan. Could care less about the NL or the Cubs in general (nothing personal) outside of fantasy baseball (Prior is on one of my teams). I just know stupidity when I see it.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Thu May 15, 2003 12:14 pm

And did you read the article linked on Yahoo Fantasy Baseball's front league page today in which Baker defended his handling of pitchers, by saying that Nen and Nathan were the only pitchers he managed that needed surgery. Only two blown arms? And he thinks that's something to be proud of!
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cwebb » Thu May 15, 2003 12:32 pm

Well, there are more reasons for surgery than just excessive workload, and Wood already has Tommy John behind him. It would have been stupid to leave Zambrano in just to get him a complete game.

It's not about CG's it's about W's after all!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu May 15, 2003 2:59 pm

At any rate, you can be certain this subject won't go away with Wood throwing 119 pitches today through 7 innings...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 3:39 pm

I am getting sick of reading these posts... Here's what Kerry said after his 141 pitch performance:
"I was actually less sore than I normally am," Wood said of his arm the day after the May 10 game against St. Louis.

Kerry asked if too much was being made of the pitch count:
"Way too much," Wood said Tuesday. "So much that I'm tired of talking about it."

Dusty Baker:
"I ask every inning 'What's the pitch count,'" Baker said. "My theory is basically to put it on the bullpen early (in the season) because guys don't come out of Spring Training ready to go that deep.

"I usually put it on the starters later in the season, and put it on both down the stretch. We definitely need some deeper inning games and less deep count games."

Read the whole story here....
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20030513&content_id=318190&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 12:08 am

wow.. no one has anything to say now.......

Friendliness: %

dusty

Postby CorySnyder » Fri May 16, 2003 3:12 am

Im tired of it Wood and Prior will be fine Look at how kerry threw today 97 deep into the game The kid will be fine
(I know hes almost 26)
CorySnyder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers