Time to panic on RJ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to panic on RJ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bboy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:05 pm

I seriously cannot understand why people take pitchers in the first round, maybe in a 16 team league but in a 10 teamer it's just craziness.
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:10 pm

Man has a couple of off starts and panic sets in. RJ will be fine. Give it a break. 2 quality 7 IP, 1 ER starts and all the numbers will fall into line.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:34 pm

I'm totally to blame.

4 years playing FBB and when I've owned Randy he's
won 7 games with an ERA of 4.50 and a Whip of 1.25. When I haven't owned him he's won 40 games with a 2.30 ERA and a Whip barely above 1.00.

Get him off my roster and he becomes studly again.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bboy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:37 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I'm totally to blame.

4 years playing FBB and when I've owned Randy he's
won 7 games with an ERA of 4.50 and a Whip of 1.25. When I haven't owned him he's won 40 games with a 2.30 ERA and a Whip barely above 1.00.

Get him off my roster and he becomes studly again.

I'll give you Ramirez for him so I can get the odd spot start.

:-b :-D

PS. That's Horacio not Manny
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby toofunnyy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:30 am

Don't worry? *lol*

First off, he's 41. So when you're 40+ and you start the season off badly, the odds of him returning to greatness are greatly decreased.

Fact is, his age will catch up to him, sooner rather then later. I think he'll have a decent year, but I'm guess 4ish era all year. He's lost a little speed, and he's just not as intimidating as he used to be.

If I drafted him in the 1st round, I'd unload him the next time he tossed a gem. Don't get my wrong, those will happen, but probably fewer and fewer at this age.

Maybe he'll find the fountain of youth, but in general I avoid everyone 40+, a simple injury can mean far longer stints on the DL then a 25 year old. And who wants to be the guy who drafts a 41/42 year old guy on the year he sucks out and retires.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:58 am

toofunnyy wrote:Don't worry? *lol*

First off, he's 41. So when you're 40+ and you start the season off badly, the odds of him returning to greatness are greatly decreased.

Fact is, his age will catch up to him, sooner rather then later. I think he'll have a decent year, but I'm guess 4ish era all year. He's lost a little speed, and he's just not as intimidating as he used to be.

If I drafted him in the 1st round, I'd unload him the next time he tossed a gem. Don't get my wrong, those will happen, but probably fewer and fewer at this age.

Maybe he'll find the fountain of youth, but in general I avoid everyone 40+, a simple injury can mean far longer stints on the DL then a 25 year old. And who wants to be the guy who drafts a 41/42 year old guy on the year he sucks out and retires.

Returning to greatness? He was great last year and every year he wasn't hurt. There is nothing to "return" to.

I respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Randy will be fine. Expect 20 wins and an ERA of 3.20 at the very max.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nikku88 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:00 am

Randy hasn't been horrible, just not his usual self. I have complete faith that he will be elite very soon. Now Ollie Perez I'm a little worried about.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Conner » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:03 am

Randy Johnson's ERA, throughout his career:

April: 3.53
May: 3.35
June: 2.84
July: 3.12
August: 2.80
September: 2.76
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:21 am

Just got him for Delgado and Haren in a non-keeper. I probably gave up too much, but I have Helton and really really needed a SP. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby GSes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:
prodpaul wrote:I would be worried once the weather warms up a bit and his velocity stays where it is now. I think I saw last night that he topped out at 94-95 when he usually hits 97-98. Maybe the cold has something to do with it.

I am not positive, but aren't his days of 97-98 behind him? I don't think he hits those speeds anymore, I may be wrong. If he does he only does it maybe a couple times a game.

For a couple years he has been average 93-95.

you must be joking? PEOPLE please. this randy F***ing Johnson. He is going to win the AL Cy Young award or finish in the top 3 for it. ITS RANDY JOHNSON. If you are seriously thinking he is going to have a bad season after 3 starts you need to quit fantasy baseball, cuz u suck at it.

He started slow last season, his ERA through the first 3 games was similar to what it is right now, and he was just fine by the end of the year o ya and he threw a perfect game.

Yes RJ's ERA/Whip should come up a little bit with the move to the AL, but the Wins will sHOOT way up basically making him even mroe valuable then he was last year. 20 wins is a lock.

and no to the guy who thinks he throws 92mph. Last year I watched almost every one of his starts and he hit 97-98. so u are nuts.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers