Time to panic on RJ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to panic on RJ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to panic on RJ?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 am

Another miserable start. Come on!!! This is not what I paid 1st round for. I'm a little bit concerned that he hasn't looked like his old self. Does anything look wrong when he throws, or is he just getting hit? How worried should I be?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:09 am

I would be worried once the weather warms up a bit and his velocity stays where it is now. I think I saw last night that he topped out at 94-95 when he usually hits 97-98. Maybe the cold has something to do with it.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:14 am

prodpaul wrote:I would be worried once the weather warms up a bit and his velocity stays where it is now. I think I saw last night that he topped out at 94-95 when he usually hits 97-98. Maybe the cold has something to do with it.

I agree. He's been opening the season (mostly) in the warm weather of the southwest and west coast the past few years, so I think a slower start would be in order. Once the Yanks as a group snap out of this funk I expect him to start rolling once again. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby .38 Special » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 am

He needs an injection in his knee, since he has no cartilage. As someone in a similar situation I can tell you spring is a hard month for these types of injuries. It is damp, and cold two things that can affect this (arthritis). I would not panic, as soons as it warms up he should be fine. That being said if you do not own him, now is the time to go get him cheap.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:30 am

As long as RJ can walk to the mound I wouldn't be worried. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby TB13 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:33 am

It is April, isn't it? RJ will be fine. Even if he is going to begin a decline in performance, how much can he realistically drop in one year? He's not suddenly going to go from the Randy Johnson that we all know and love/fear to an amped up verion of Dennis Tankersly.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 am

If you're an owner of RJ you can't do much right now if he's worrying you. Definitly don't trade him as, even though he's Randy Freaking Johnson, you won't get full value for him. Also, RJ may simply just not produce 1st round numbers this year...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:43 am

It wasn't as bad as his line looks.

He gave up a two run shot to Eduardo Perez, so his stat line after 7 IP was 7 IP, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HR. I think about 6 hits.

His pitch count was doing well, but he ran into trouble in the 8th. Eduardo Perez knocked a solo shot, then Flash wasn't able to strand RJ's 2 runners.

He was pounding the strike zone all night so it was going well.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gpurcell » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:00 pm

Remember only 3 ER as well due to Jeter's error.
gpurcell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:15 pm

The weather thing, plus the fact that everyone gets off to a slow start in New York are both factors contributing to the poor outings.

He'll heat up soon enough, and so will the Yanks' bats. He'll be a monster come mid-summer I think.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers