The official Yankees' fans vent thread... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

The official Yankees' fans vent thread...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:16 am

I'm a huge Yankees fan, been one ever since my little league days when that was the name of my team. This team has obvious problems that are not going to be ironed out just with more time. Johnson will come around, that I am sure of. The bullpen stinks. Rivera is no longer a sure thing as long as he has bursitis. That makes that cut fastball flatten out. And getting to him is a big problem. The outfield is slow as molasses in January. Matsui and Sheffield will catch everything they get to, as will Bernie, but an awful lot of balls will drop that should not. I don't think anybody has very much confidence in Wright, Moose is very hittable over the last year, and Pavano is still just a one year wonder until he proves otherwise. Brown is an expensive albatross, Womack is weak in every area other than speed, Bernie has gotten really old really quickly. There is nothing in the minors other than Cano, who is not that good. If Baltimore can somehow find some pitching, they're quite capable of finishing second in the division, with Boston finishing first. It would not be a huge shock to me to see the Yankees not make the playoffs. George does need to do some serious rebuilding of the minors. Even his purse has a finite amount and you can't keep paying other teams to take your overpaid players in return for letting you rent one of their younger players for the rest of the year.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dimaggio5 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:04 am

Vent about the Yanks Huh? Where should I begin. I'm a very loyal diehard Yankee fan but I see trouble ahead. Alot of it. There are alot of problems with the current organization from the top on down. Gene Micheal the real archetect of the Yanks from 95-01 is now one of many voices George listens to. Alot of his advisors plain stink. The Yanks cut the scouting budget drastically when they signed Giambi and the repurcussions are greatly affecting the Yanks now. Besides not developing the minors with talent the Yanks are no longer picking off or stealing talent from other teams. Let's not forget the Yanks stole Wickman, and Melido Perez from the ChiSox for Sax, They stole Tino, Nelson and Mecir for Hitchcock and Russ Davis from the Mariners. We stole Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook and another pitcher who didn;t work out for Graham Lloyd or Hideki Irabu I forget which one. All of these players in one way or another played a crucial role for the Yanks as either a player or trade bait. This was all done with a fully operational and budgeted scouting system and most important with Gene Micheal in larger control. With all due respect to Cashman, he's no Gene Micheal. Micheal has an eye for the gems. But I think the most serious weakness is......This team is not as resilient as the teams from the past. There were times in years on past where no deficit was too large to overcome. 6th inning Yanks down 5...no problem. A run here and a few there and before you'd know it, it was the bottom of the 9th and the score was tied or the Yanks were only behind by a run. Comeback Time. This year and even for parts of last, the Yanks just don;t seem to have that toughness to fight through adversity. Of course, last year the Yanks usually had pretty comfortable leads for most of their games but for those when they didn't, they usually didn;t come back. That seems to be the difference between the Yankee teams of the last 3 years and the teams from 96-2001. The prior teams were very very resilient and possessed a steel fortitude. This team lacks these traits. In fact I am noticing these qualities in this years revamped Mets. They are looking good and will be a very strong force in a year or two. George better not forget, championship teams start at home and right now the home is sickly.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Mon May 02, 2005 2:23 pm

Check out the epilogue of Buster Olney's book. Very telling:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=2051491
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dimaggio5 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:26 pm

WharfRat wrote:Check out the epilogue of Buster Olney's book. Very telling:

Very very humbling and sad. I guess George never quite learned has he? How on earth can you turn away Guerrero for SHeffield when considering all postives and negatives.

If you look at the Yankess now, they are bogged down by Brown, Giambi, and even Williams and Sheffield and their huge contracts. Williams is slowing down VERY fast and Sheffield is adequate but when compared to Vlad who would you rather have and spent your money on. Between those 4 players what is the total payroll? 55-60 million is my estimate. This could've been Vlad and Beltran in the OF with Matsui.

A small tidbit....dd you know that the Yanks wanted to sign Ortiz as a DH/1B backup the year they signed Giambi. I think he was dirt cheap too but George killed it for some reason.

Thanks for the link.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Mon May 02, 2005 9:23 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Check out the epilogue of Buster Olney's book. Very telling:

Very very humbling and sad. I guess George never quite learned has he? How on earth can you turn away Guerrero for SHeffield when considering all postives and negatives.

If you look at the Yankess now, they are bogged down by Brown, Giambi, and even Williams and Sheffield and their huge contracts. Williams is slowing down VERY fast and Sheffield is adequate but when compared to Vlad who would you rather have and spent your money on. Between those 4 players what is the total payroll? 55-60 million is my estimate. This could've been Vlad and Beltran in the OF with Matsui.

A small tidbit....dd you know that the Yanks wanted to sign Ortiz as a DH/1B backup the year they signed Giambi. I think he was dirt cheap too but George killed it for some reason.

Thanks for the link.

Interesting, I didn't know about Ortiz. I'd be curious to find out why they didn't sign him.

In defense of Bernie: He was a very different player when they signed him to that deal, and who could've predicted he'd decline THIS fast. I hope he retires as a Yankee. Sheffield is also a MONSTER player (in fact he just picked up his 3rd hit as I type this ;-D ) but with him, what bothers me is that they could have locked down Vlad for like 6 years instead of Sheff for 2 (3?) years. But I can't get mad about Sheffield and Bernie the way I am about Kevin $#@$ Brown and Jason @#%#@ Giambi.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dimaggio5 » Mon May 02, 2005 10:40 pm

WharfRat wrote:In defense of Bernie: He was a very different player when they signed him to that deal, and who could've predicted he'd decline THIS fast. I hope he retires as a Yankee. Sheffield is also a MONSTER player (in fact he just picked up his 3rd hit as I type this ;-D ) but with him, what bothers me is that they could have locked down Vlad for like 6 years instead of Sheff for 2 (3?) years. But I can't get mad about Sheffield and Bernie the way I am about Kevin $#@$ Brown and Jason @#%#@ Giambi.

Ditto I agree. I hope Bernie rides off into the sunset as a Yankee. He is a true and classy Yankee. Shef does produce and your right... when you examine the contracts extended to Vlad and Shef and then consider their ages you start to scratch your head in bewilderment and wonder why on earth did George pull away from Vlad.

The details on Ortiz surfaced in the news after he had emerged as a monster his 1st year in Boston and each time he slaughtered the Yanks. During his Free Agency from the Twins, I remembered reading the News or Post and recall that the Yanks did have a pretty warm interest in Ortiz. However that's all I remember and I'm not sure how far it progressed. Then after his first successful year with Boston, all the second guessing and regret started surfacing. I'm not sure why it was killed but considering that the Yanks went on a "buying spree" the year they signed Giambi, they should never have let a few million dollars get in the way of signing a player of Ortiz's potential. Look at the wasted money they threw at Karsay and Rondell White that winter. Hindsight is 20/20 but then again these were the types of scenarios that the Yanks use to decide correctly on during 1992 to 2001. When they signed players like Key, Boggs, Gallego and acquired all the talent that eventually won 4 WSs. The way George is running the Yanks now it reminds me of the early 80's before Mattingly arrived. When he signed Jerry Mumphrey, Ken Griffey Sr, Mike Whitsen and all his other "advisor's" picks only to lose the world series in 81.

We are very fortunate to have an owner like George and I'm grateful for his determination to win but he has to remember what brought him his championships. A rich farm system, excellent scouting, shrewd player evaluations and prudent and efficient fiscal spending. 1996-2001 seems like ages ago now.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to New York Yankees