I think even avid hunters will find this disturbing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I think even avid hunters will find this disturbing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:17 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Seeing radical extremes dont get me whipped into a frenzy because I understand they are radical extremes - more than anything it just makes me sad that other people use them as pawns to promote their own agenda.

I'm not sure if that was directed at some of my comments, but I will assume it was partially. While I agree, you also have to keep those minorities from having a disproptionately large voice in the decision making process.

I'm not sure if that's coherent, or relavant to the conversation, I'm going on my 26th hour with no sleep, so I've got a bit of an excuse. X-I

It wasnt and I agree with you.

While I agree that naming a child Ayrian Power or whatever is incredibly sick, and taking a 5yo hunting is severely questionable, I also question the motives of those people who are shining a light onto these rare examples of extreme behavior. Someone had to go out and search the web for the little hunter girl. Now I dont know this as a fact, but the pieces are easy to put together that it ended up on a pro gun control site. This site then shines a light onto this extreme situation with innuendo of "look at what those pro-gun loonies do" in an attempt to use an extreme case as representative of a much larger, less extreme group of people. This type of thing happens regularly, and to me, its just as sick and demented as taking a 5 yo hunting - they twist situations and expose innocence to promote their own agenda.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:26 pm

hmmm.....isn't shining a light on extremist behaviour what freedom of speech and freedom of the press is all about?

If the light is not directed at this behaviour how will we ever know it goes on and how do you stop extremism from becoming the norm?

No lights are allowed in China right now and wasn't everybody recently crowing about how much better it is over here?

No offence Cornbread but sometimes the Michael Moore backlash gets too extreme and a little hypocritical. "Gimme my freedoms but shut up if you disagree with me."
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:hmmm.....isn't shining a light on extremist behaviour what freedom of speech and freedom of the press is all about?

If the light is not directed at this behaviour how will we ever know it goes on and how do you stop extremism from becoming the norm?

No lights are allowed in China right now and wasn't everybody recently crowing about how much better it is over here?

No offence Cornbread but sometimes the Michael Moore backlash gets too extreme and a little hypocritical. "Gimme my freedoms but shut up if you disagree with me."

nono - I never implied that at all. I would say the exact same thing if its someone who named their child Bush Sucks and their pic is posted on the web. Id feel sorry for the parents who are obviously ill - similar to the parents of the little angel posted earlier.

I think sometimes because I have stated I am RW that my posts get painted with that brush, but I have been trying to remain moderate in my posts - especially this one. All I was doing was pointing out that political groups take advantage of extremist behavior by insinuating they represent the larger group - it most certainly goes both ways. Please dont think Im trying to politicize this in one direction or another - its simply not the case. All Im doing is expressing my dislike and showing how this type of tactic is used regularly.

Is propaganda techniques what freedom of speech is all about? Absolutely not. I never argued that this info should be kept a secret. What I argued was why and how it was used - there is a huge difference.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:51 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:hmmm.....isn't shining a light on extremist behaviour what freedom of speech and freedom of the press is all about?

nono - I never implied that at all. I would say the exact same thing if its someone who named their child Bush Sucks and their pic is posted on the web. Id feel sorry for the parents who are obviously ill - similar to the parents of the little angel posted earlier.

I think sometimes because I have stated I am RW that my posts get painted with that brush, but I have been trying to remain moderate in my posts - especially this one. All I was doing was pointing out that political groups take advantage of extremist behavior by insinuating they represent the larger group - it most certainly goes both ways. Please dont think Im trying to politicize this in one direction or another - its simply not the case. All Im doing is expressing my dislike and showing how this type of tactic is used regularly.

Is propaganda techniques what freedom of speech is all about? Absolutely not. I never argued that this info should be kept a secret. What I argued was why and how it was used - there is a huge difference.

Well you lost me then. Could you point out anywhere in this thread where someone has insinuated that Republicans are out killing at the age of 5 - or that this incident is representative of the practices of a larger group?

The baby thing was a complete non-sequitur but I guess it was kind of funny in a disturbing way but I don't think that he implied that there are a lot of people naming their kids Aryan or White God Jones etc.

I just don't see the insinuation anywhere so your post pretty much came out of left field.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Well you lost me then. Could you point out anywhere in this thread where someone has insinuated that Republicans are out killing at the age of 5 - or that this incident is representative of the practices of a larger group?

The baby thing was a complete non-sequitur but I guess it was kind of funny in a disturbing way but I don't think that he implied that there are a lot of people naming their kids Aryan or White God Jones etc.

I just don't see the insinuation anywhere so your post pretty much came out of left field.

I was just reading between the lines - no one said it, but with AA's history I felt that's what he was implying.

I apologize if my posts are confusing or are out of left field - hopefully my point was made to the right people though.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I was just reading between the lines - no one said it, but with AA's history I felt that's what he was implying.

I apologize if my posts are confusing or are out of left field - hopefully my point was made to the right people though.

I know where your coming from CB, I have been thinking the same thing every time I read this thread. And your comments have been spot on IMO. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:25 pm

Man- I swear to God I just thought both links were funny in a very disturbing sort of a way. I wasn't trying to start any sort of discussion so much as share something that stuck in my mind.

I guess I could see where corny was coming from if I posted a link to SomethingAwful's interview with the Ultimate Warrior. But these aren't right-wing or left-wing sites - they're crazy people. Period.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:37 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Seeing radical extremes dont get me whipped into a frenzy because I understand they are radical extremes - more than anything it just makes me sad that other people use them as pawns to promote their own agenda.

I'm not sure if that was directed at some of my comments, but I will assume it was partially. While I agree, you also have to keep those minorities from having a disproptionately large voice in the decision making process.

I'm not sure if that's coherent, or relavant to the conversation, I'm going on my 26th hour with no sleep, so I've got a bit of an excuse. X-I

It wasnt and I agree with you.

While I agree that naming a child Ayrian Power or whatever is incredibly sick, and taking a 5yo hunting is severely questionable, I also question the motives of those people who are shining a light onto these rare examples of extreme behavior. Someone had to go out and search the web for the little hunter girl. Now I dont know this as a fact, but the pieces are easy to put together that it ended up on a pro gun control site. This site then shines a light onto this extreme situation with innuendo of "look at what those pro-gun loonies do" in an attempt to use an extreme case as representative of a much larger, less extreme group of people. This type of thing happens regularly, and to me, its just as sick and demented as taking a 5 yo hunting - they twist situations and expose innocence to promote their own agenda.

I agree with you, to a point. I agree that people that have nothing better to do than look for this stuff need to find a hobby or 2. That said, that doesn't make it any better for me. Like I always say.......2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights make a left. ;-7

Kinda like if I murder someone and I have a bloody knife on my counter but that evidence isn't submissable because they didn't have a warrant. Who cares?? I committed the crime.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 pm

Um did my picture of the redneck on the motorcycle get deleted?? What did i do!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:02 pm

OMG 8-o

Are you telling me that not all conservatives name their children Aryan Power? chit. now I gots to come up with a different one.

But, we still get to rip off the Senior Citizens on Friday though right? ;-D

and just be sure, I hope our scheduled "destroy the world" party is on for next Saturday. My girlfriend said she would make her famous 3 bean salad. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1144)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk