O's Want Helton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O's Want Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BOOF » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:03 pm

Larry Walker. I think hitters like Helton and Walker will be well above average wherever they play. All these numbers and stats mean very little when you talk about guys like that.

Could anyone help me?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 402#882402
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:22 am

davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Something else which is being overlooked:

I keep hearing - "In that lineup (Baltimore's), Helton would see a dramatic increase in runs and RBIs because of the extra protection"

Well.....

In 2003, Helton had Preston Wilson (150 RBI Preston Wilson) and Larry Walker surrounding him in the lineup. He still managed to bat only .324 with 10 HRs and 45 RBIs on the road that year. I don't think Swingin Sammy, Ancient Raffy, and Tejada are all that much more protection than Walker and Wilson were...so I expect his road numbers that year (when he was even a better player) times two to be about right. So, .325, 20-25, 100 RBIs. That's about his limit IMO.

That's funny b/c Casey is not a 325, 20-25, 100 RBI hitter. He's topped .325 only once in his career, hasn't hit 25 since 99, never driven in 100.

Casey is a good value pick who will give you solid stats. Helton schools him outside of Coors. If you want to take a small sample size of 1 year then go right ahead. Casey won't come close to what he put up in 04.

So he can't take a small sample size of one year but you can claim, as you have in NUMEROUS other posts, that Brian Roberts will hit 20 based on a sample size of three weeks! Dude, I'm not one that has historically gotten along with Jackal, but face it, the guy's right. I've given up trying to argue this because there isn't very much substance that supports a Helton move. While there isn't THAT much to argue for him struggling, how many players have made successful moves out of Coors?

Find a post where I said Roberts will hit 20 http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... ht=#875991. You like to bring in other posts yet you are 100% wrong every single time. It's either that you don't pay attention or you have a short memory or you just don't know how to read. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby G-Man » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:20 pm

slomo007 wrote:Helton + Baltimore = Fantasy Bust

how would his numbers take a hit? i think the lineup protection plus increased RBI and Run potential due to lineup in baltimore versus colorado would make up for the difference in altitude. i think they should stick with gibbons though, lets not forget he IS a 100 RBI man.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 02, 2005 11:55 am

Anything new on these rumors or is this a dead issue?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:59 am

G-Man wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Helton + Baltimore = Fantasy Bust

how would his numbers take a hit? i think the lineup protection plus increased RBI and Run potential due to lineup in baltimore versus colorado would make up for the difference in altitude. i think they should stick with gibbons though, lets not forget he IS a 100 RBI man.

Sorry, didn't see your post. Simply read through the thread and all of the arguments for each side are presented by myself and many others. I really don't want to get into it again though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers