Return to Baseball Leftovers

O's Want Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:52 pm

That's a really good offer for Colorado. They'd dump Helton's big contract and get a pretty damn good prospect in Markakis. Markakis has superb tools and really seemed to be finding his groove at the plate last year. Since he was a two way player in JUCO (in fact, most liked him as an LHP...in a different system like Colorado, it wouldn't be TOO surprising to see him go back to the mound, but since he's had a couple of years at the plate, that'd make it a bit iffy), he's been a bit slower to develop, but the raw ability is certainly there. While most doubt Markakis will develop big time power, he could be a lesser Helton out there.

This would also open another spot where they could move Garrett Atkins/Jeff Baker/Ian Stewart...

From the O's perspective, it really doesn't make sense. Their farm system is already REALLY thin, especially after Adam Loewen pretty much busted and Wade Townsend went back to school (should've drafted Nelson like some of their officials wanted...I think Angelos made the call on Townsend). The Sosa deal was decent, but if they're going to kill their farm system, they might as well do it for top starting pitching. They need a frontline starter to anchor the staff...not another bat.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:53 pm

He wouldn't be a fantasy bust after the trade. He'd probably bat 3rd in that lineup which would increase his RBI and R totals by a good 25-35 each most likely. He also would have real protection so would see more hittable pitches instead of being pitched around every AB. He'd still hit around 330 and would probably hit around 25 HR but with much stronger secondary numbers than in colorado. I think this would increase his value if anything.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:56 pm

If the rockies do this trade, there will be nothing to watch at coors field but barely a AAA team. I wonder how much attendence will fall.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:02 pm

baseballnewb wrote:He wouldn't be a fantasy bust after the trade. He'd probably bat 3rd in that lineup which would increase his RBI and R totals by a good 25-35 each most likely. He also would have real protection so would see more hittable pitches instead of being pitched around every AB. He'd still hit around 330 and would probably hit around 25 HR but with much stronger secondary numbers than in colorado. I think this would increase his value if anything.

Good point.

Helton's career OPS outside of Coors is .922.

Sheffield's career OPS is .928.

The O's lineup with Helton will be almost as good as the Yankees. I don't see Helton's value dropping.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:05 pm

bleach168 wrote:
baseballnewb wrote:He wouldn't be a fantasy bust after the trade. He'd probably bat 3rd in that lineup which would increase his RBI and R totals by a good 25-35 each most likely. He also would have real protection so would see more hittable pitches instead of being pitched around every AB. He'd still hit around 330 and would probably hit around 25 HR but with much stronger secondary numbers than in colorado. I think this would increase his value if anything.

Good point.

The O's lineup with Helton will be almost as good as the Yankees. I don't see Helton's value dropping.

Helton's is so high simply because he has played in a lineup with nobody around him for many years (thus, high OBP). Sheffield has almost always played in stacked lineups. Helton is a BIG bust outside of Colorado. He would put up Sean Casey like numbers - .320, 25, 100.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -69)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:05 pm

I think his value goes UP if this trade happens.

The Rockies aren't hitting this year like they have in the past. The O's are going to put him right in the middle of a very strong lineup... he's going to have more chances for both runs and rbi's. Beyond that, look at the pitching in the AL east so far. :-D (I say all this as a Helton owner).
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:07 pm

I'm not sure this move would be wise for the Os for the long term but his fantasy value would absolutely go up.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:10 pm

His value would drop. He hits .075 points lower when hitting away from Coors.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:10 pm

As a Helton owner I would be happy to see this trade happen. Do you know how frustrating it is to see walk after walk. There is no one for him to drive in or be driven in by.

Put him in between Mora & Tejada & OMG imagine his RBI & run totals. That is exactly where he would hit too....to give R L R to the 2,3,4 hitters.

I know he is taken away from Coors, but its not like Camden Yards is a pitchers haven. No more games at SF & SD, but @ the short porch @ Yankee & Fenway in right.

I would welcome this deal with open arms!!!
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:10 pm

slomo007 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

Good point.

Helton's is so high simply because he has played in a lineup with nobody around him for many years (thus, high OBP). Sheffield has almost always played in stacked lineups. Helton is a BIG bust outside of Colorado. He would put up Sean Casey like numbers - .320, 25, 100.

Fine.

Helton's road slugging pct is .526.

Sheffield's overall career slugging pct is .527.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers