Richie Sexson? What is his worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Richie Sexson? What is his worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Richie Sexson? What is his worth?

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 7:43 pm

Do you think Sexson's gonna be a 45-50 HR hitter this year? I have him on my team, and I'm wondering if it's time to trade him for a higher-level guy, i.e. Giambi, Thome, Delgado, Bagwell, Pujols? Is he as good as these upper-tier guys, or should I try to deal for one of them?

Thanks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sinicalypse » Wed May 14, 2003 8:36 pm

it looks like sexson might hit 50 this season. there are two things that can knock him down a few notches:

1) injury. i hear a bum knee slowed him down to his 30-35 HR level last season.

2) teams realizing "hey, why should we pitch to this guy? let's let geoff jenkins/wes helms/royce clayton beat us, not the big stick"

personally, i like richie sexson a bunch and think he's a mighty fine ballplayer. he looks to be having fun... he's probably THE MAN up in milwaukee, he's bleaching his hair, he's leading the ML in homers... live it up, dude. cleveland produced a lot of exported bats around his time, just imagine if they had brian giles and richie sexson to rebuild around... but hey, who could fault 'em when they were sitting on a stud like manny and of course, thome?
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed May 14, 2003 9:32 pm

I definatly agree with the post above. If you can get an upper tier fantasy player for him do it. Teams are going to realize if they give him nothing to hit that there is noone else in the lineup that can pick him up.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby tjhksig » Wed May 14, 2003 9:51 pm

Exactly. You have to look at these homer-studs and see who have they have around them, b/c if their surrounding cast is weak, teams will just pitch around him and go for the easier out. I think this may happen to Huff too if he keeps his HR hitting ways up, cause he is in an even worse offensive situation.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quickfingerz » Thu May 15, 2003 2:23 am

Hey, Geoff Jenkins is a pretty good hitter. Give him time and health and he'll be up there ranking around the teens among outfielders
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 15, 2003 9:49 am

I'd take anyone of the guys listed above over Sexson. He will hit you 40+ bombs but the avg is going to be .270 at best. Plus the above post are right about Sexson being in a weak lineup which will hurt his RBI and run chances.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Ugh.

Postby lifeform » Thu May 15, 2003 4:25 pm

No one was pitching around him today (vs. the Cubs) -- 5 AB (so far...) 4 Ks, and an infield pop-up.

As a Sexson owner, I say "ugh".
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers