Another Credit Card Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Another Credit Card Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby free » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:52 pm

shpuck wrote:eftda: Not college. We got our condo when I got out and started grad school and took out the credit line a couple of years later when the rates were low. So I learned by doing and discussions with my parents. It paid off my wife's car, consolidated credit cards, etc. Right now, I'm paying about $150 on the $100 we owe each month (to work off some principal). It's great when you look at the big picture.

free: The bank basically has your home as collateral when you have a mortgage. All your really doing is putting more of your home up and getting low interest money against your home. Since the housing market is increasing so much, especially in the SB area, the value of the home is fast outpacing the amount we have in Equity and mortgaged, so even if we sold, we'd have a bunch left over after paying off the mortgage and the equity that we owe. In essence, if you can purchase a home and take out money against it, that's the way to go so you're not required to dump your money into credit card companies. Of course, it still takes fiscal responsibility to not blow your entire equity line on useless stuff.

ah, that makes more sense...good stuff man ;-D on another note, i'm getting married this summer and moving to florida to finish school. we plan on being down there about 2.5 to 3 years. think that would be a long enough staying time to invest in a condo or small home?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:54 pm

JT.......If the above idea isn't for you, I would just call them. I have an MBNA account and usually pay in full each month but not always. Once in a while, they increase my rate. All that I do is call them, remind them that I have been a good customer for a long time, and tell them that if they don't give me a lower rate, I am leaving. Works like a charm. They usually put me on hold a few times but no problems here. B-)

It usually works better if you have no balance at the time. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby JTWood » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:07 am

Lo,

I've spoke with them twice, each time indicating that I was going to leave. They have never once offered me a deal to stay. They said it was an "accross-the-board" rate hike. I think the new rate has already factored customer slippage in to it.

I think I have found an out, though. I have found a card that will offer me a free balance transfer with a fixed 3.99% rate on the transferred balance. The purchase rate is 11.49%, but it has a 3% cash-back feature. I put $10,500 of purchases on my points card last year. If I did that with their card, my effective interest rate would be 4% or 5% - less than my current rate!

They are sending me the paperwork now.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:11 am

JTWood wrote:Lo,

I've spoke with them twice, each time indicating that I was going to leave. They have never once offered me a deal to stay. They said it was an "accross-the-board" rate hike. I think the new rate has already factored customer slippage in to it.

I think I have found an out, though. I have found a card that will offer me a free balance transfer with a fixed 3.99% rate on the transferred balance. The purchase rate is 11.49%, but it has a 3% cash-back feature. I put $10,500 of purchases on my points card last year. If I did that with their card, my effective interest rate would be 4% or 5% - less than my current rate!

;-D

Just make sure to read the fine print. And make sure to stay up on the expiration dates on all of those things. A lot of them claim 3.99% or something like that until it's paid off but once you make a purchase, it will go up to the biggie rate. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:20 am

Lofunzo wrote:Once in a while, they increase my rate. All that I do is call them, remind them that I have been a good customer for a long time, and tell them that if they don't give me a lower rate, I am leaving. Works like a charm. They usually put me on hold a few times but no problems here. B-)

It usually works better if you have no balance at the time. :-°

I did that the only time I remember my rate being raised. I had about 5K worth of debt on the card (thanks to my ex-wife) and they went from 8.9% to like 11.9%. I called and told them that if they didn't bring it back down, I was going to pay it off and close the account (I couldn't pay it off, but I could transfer the balance to another card, so slight bluff on my part). They ended up dropping it to 6.9% which was less than I was paying before. Never had another issue with them. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:21 am

Lofunzo wrote:
JTWood wrote:Lo,

;-D

Just make sure to read the fine print. And make sure to stay up on the expiration dates on all of those things. A lot of them claim 3.99% or something like that until it's paid off but once you make a purchase, it will go up to the biggie rate. :-o

That's why I requested the paperwork.

B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: Another Credit Card Thread

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:15 am

free wrote:
JTWood wrote:Just got a letter from MBNA/MasterCard today. They are raising my rate from 5.99% to 11.99% effective June 1, 2005. No reason. This is an amendment to the general cardholder agreement. I didn't do anything wrong. The only exception to this amendment is for promotional rates, and I do not have one of those.

I have the right to reject this amendment to my cardholder agreement. When I reject it (and I will be), my balance will remain on the card and my rate will be frozen, however, ANY use of the card from that date forward will signal my acceptance to the agreement. Basically, it becomes a fixed-rate loan.

JT, i've never heard of that :-? is that in small print somewhere? can they just change it without you missing a payment? interesting and scary at the same time :-o

It actually is in the fine print. Most standard credit card contracts state that they are allowed to make whatever changes they want to the agreement at their whim provided they give you advance notice and a chance to back out of the agreeement. Most periods of notice are 30 or 90 days, depending on the event.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to General Talk