Reassuring Quotes From Dan Kolb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reassuring Quotes From Dan Kolb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:06 pm

Well, Reitsma doesn't have typical closer stuff, much like Kolb. He Ks more than Kolb, but compared to other closers, he doesn't strike out as many people. Anyway, he throws a sinker, a four seamer, and a changeup. He lacks a breaking pitch (which may have halted his progress as a starting pitcher). I think he'd be an average closer at best. Hitters hit .284 against him last year... .281 in 2003.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:09 pm

kolb's 2nd half in 04 was the warning...creitsma was excellent until september when he tired from over use
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sportsgalore » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:18 pm

slomo007 wrote:What the heck...I just picked up Reitsma. We'll see what happens. :-?

me too - ya never know... :*)
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:14 pm

warrick95 wrote: He lacks a breaking pitch (which may have halted his progress as a starting pitcher).

From scouting reports I've read on him he does apparently have a very good curveball.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:49 pm

As a Braves fan and Kolb owner, hopefully tonight's performance gets him back on track. And Reitsma is just a mediocre setup man IMO.

As an aside, I watched last night's Braves game and said, even before Kolb started the 9th, that I didn't like that Cox let him bat then expected him to close the door after already working a scoreless, yet somewhat eventful 8th. I didn't realize it was his 1st ever MLB AB too, which made me even more convinced that it was the wrong move. I know a reliever should be able to pitch 2 innings with an AB in between but it's a bit more easily said than done for some reason.

If you can stand low K #s in exchange for alot of saves, Kolb won't do you wrong no matter the nay-sayers.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FlawedReasoning » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:56 pm

As much as Kolb pissed me off last night, I have to agree... I knew that it was trouble when he came up to bat. Actually it sounds as if everyone knew it was trouble, but for some reason it still happened.

Of course he should be able to handle that situation a bit more gracefully than he did, but for some reason it's as though everyone understood what was about to happen and just went with it, Kolb more than anyone else. I sure hope he gets his head straight and improves enough to keep the job. At least then I can trade him.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:06 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:What's the bet Reitsma gets the save today after Huddy goes 8 innings.

I wish; I own both of them. 10 scoreless innings pitched between the two and nary a win or a save.

But other than the jam which Reitsma pitched himself into (and out of) tonight, he's been pretty solid.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:11 am

Blame Cox for sunday's problems, Kolb should not have been out there for a 2nd inning period. Especially following a blown save his previous time out and a 4 day rest.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:13 am

My mistake. It looks like I read an errant scouting report. I saw him pitch tonight...he has a curve in the mid-70s that has great break on it. He got hit hard early, but found his control and used that sinking action to get a low liner and a grounder before the flyout...all with the bases juiced.

Kolb's control looked like crap tonight by the way. He was lucky as hell that he K'd Scott...it should've been 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Scott swung at a horribly high pitch. He did pitch pretty well against Vizcaino, though. That being said, his command is still pretty lacking.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LetsPlay2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:10 pm

10 pitches with 8 of them for strikes for the save today. That's more like Kolb. He usually works ahead in the count. And the only K today was looking. Again, alot like the Kolb of the last 2 seasons, but no one drafted him for his K potential.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers