Cancelling Payment on Credit Card? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cancelling Payment on Credit Card?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cancelling Payment on Credit Card?

Postby BigMusky » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Okay, I am new to this whole unhappy customer thing because I am usually very easy going. The story:

Went up to Door County, WI for my anniversary. Was not having the best of time, but then thought we could make up for it by going to a nice restaraunt. Went to this place called First Avenue Pier. I travel alot and have been to many nice restaraunts, but my favorite is McDonalds so you know I am not picky. Anyway, I knew we should have left the moment I saw this place because it was a glorified hotel restaraunt. Anyway, my wife takes forever to pick food out, but she was excited because their menu was in the newspaper and she found TWO things she like. That is amazing. We get to the place and neither one was on the menu there. Should have bolted. Then we go to order and they are out of two things on the menu. New York Strip and potatoes. How can you be out of that? It is not like market lobster for petes sake. The lady then brought me the wrong soup. And I could not tell the difference between the Clam Chowder and Chicken Rice except for thickness in broth. Meat looked the same. Still cool by now. Then they bring out my stake and they over cooked it, in the microwave I think. My wifes scallops were really fishy and sandy. Her salad was wilted. So basically they have struck out on all counts. The service was really slow too, kind of wierd since there were three servers for five tables. Now I am pissed. I get the bill and it was expensive, so I decided not to tip. I have never given less then 10%...even under some horrible occasions. I have even pretended to go back because I forgot a coat or something just so I boost the tip if someone else pays. I gave them one dollar for a fifty dollar bill. I also filled out the complaint card and explained how unhappy I was, so they didnt think was just being cheap.

Now the kicker that will get someone killed. I look at my credit card statement online and they charged me for a 15% tip!!

So what should I do? Call the restaraunt or call Visa and just cancel the payment. Anyone have experience with this? Can you cancel a food purchase? I am so mad at these people because not only did they screw up our night, but now they are screwing with me.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shpuck » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:49 pm

That's terrible. You might want to call the restaurant and straighten it out. I don't think Visa can do anything, but I'm not an expert.

If calling the restaurant doesn't work, you could report them to the Better Business Bureau. I think they can field complaints on stuff like this. You might want to make sure there isn't any fine print about 15% tip on all orders before you do so.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:51 pm

you dont have to pay that 15% ever...they can not make you.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby shpuck » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:55 pm

Not entirely the case. In the Bahamas, gratuity is added for you (very nice of them).

Found this on http://www.drdaveanddee.com/tipping.html which talks about tipping.
"In the United States normally a gratuity is not automatically added unless you have a party of 6 or more."

"Normally" not added. Since it's a glorified hotel restaurant, they may have added it. It irritates me about things like this too, gratuity is supposed to be extra, but in the current day, it's expected. I do tip well, however.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:59 pm

BigMusky wrote:you dont have to pay that 15% ever...they can not make you.

That's not entirely true. A lot of places have a rule that says a certain percentage is added to the bill if you are in a party of (typically) 6 or more. That's to make sure that the waiter doesn't get screwed out of an hour or so of work.

I've always wanted to open a restaurant in the US in which the tip is included in the price of the meal. I just think people would like to be free of the hassle.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:07 pm

As a former waiter, grautities are usually automatically added (at the discretion of the server) for parties of 6-8 or more.

As far as automatic tipping is concerned, I've never come across this - but I wouldn't be suprised if some restaurant has it in fine print somewhere.

Call the restaurant, and threat to report them to the BBB. I'm inclined to think they will begin to see it your way. }:-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:13 pm

That would piss me off! I would call the restuarant aand complain
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:23 pm

The process for rejecting a payment to your credit card is usually explained in detial with the form on the back of your statements.
Mine won't let me contest a claim unless I did not receive the goods or as long as I have not made a full payment.

Check your fine print, though. Yours may be different.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby eftda » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 pm

I would have said "this food is crap. I'm leaving and not paying you guys a dime."
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:24 pm

It's not as uncommon as you might think for gratuity to be included in the price. I've heard of several times that's happened to people I know. If it's in the restaurant's fine print, or the way they do business (meaning it's posted somewhere, or shows on the bill you signed) then it's completely legal.

Stinks that your night was so terrible. Did you make the waiter aware of everything? If yes, then he should be fired for not doing whatever he could to make things better. If no, then there's really nothing to complain about and no reason to stiff him on the tip. Brought the wrong soup, but other than that, everything else was out of his/her hands (even the soup could have been out of his/her hands depending on who prepared it). I'm sure you did make him aware though, right?

As to not paying the bill, I don't believe that's possible either. Visa will tell you that you should have refused to pay it when it was presented to you. At this point, it's your word vs. the restaurant as to how your dining experience went, and you did give a credit card and sign the bill, so both the restaurant and Visa will be like "How bad could it have been? He signed the bill.".

Really stinks, and sorry it happened though. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk