Robert Fick to the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Robert Fick to the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mkoss » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:10 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:By the way, drafting him probably isn't a good idea. It is very doubtful that he will ever play very much at all as a catcher( he wasn't converted for nothing ) and will probably be stuck platooning with Julio Franco (isn't Franco like 60 years old?)

My neighbor is a friend of Fick's and said that Fick wanted to get back to catching. Maybe that's why he went to the Braves, because he'd get a chance to catch every once and a while. Fick also wanted to stay in the AL, so his move to the Braves came as a bit of a shock to me, giving me more reason to believe the Braves offered to let him catch sometimes. Who knows though. I wouldn't put it past any baseball executive to say "Oh, sure, we'll let you catch every now and then" just to sign the player. Well, it doesn't matter to me if he catches or not because he's not eligible at C until he actually plays there this year and I need some OF help anyway (Edmonds $30, Jenkins $26, Daryl Ward $8, Lankford $9, Lofton $84 [FAAB]).
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:17 pm

well..i don't know if you guys know this or not but Maddux doesn't like Javy to catch for him so that opens the door up for Fick to catch every 5 days. The braves got estrada for that purpose but I could see Fick filling in too. It's gonna be really interesting..
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:22 pm

It is always possible that he will catch. Javy Lopez is always an injury waiting to happen and Estrada isn't anything special.

But the reasons that I didn't mention as to why he was converted...

1. He had some shoulder problems and had surgery (but the way that he was throwing in right field, who could tell?)

2. Not a very good defensive catcher (then again those Tigers pitchers back when he was catching certainly were no help.)

3. Already having another catcher on the horizon, they had to move him somewhere to stay in the line-up.

I was a huge Fick fan, and thus I'm happy to see him leave Detroit. The Tigers organization is a mess and as beautiful as Comerica is, it is unfair to hitters (in this day and age). I hope he plays everyday at some position and has great success, like Luis Gonzalez did.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GDaversa » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:51 am

if your depending on robert fick for points your in trouble, but yes his stock went up a little
GDaversa
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers