Robert Fick to the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Robert Fick to the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Robert Fick to the Braves

Postby mkoss » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:40 pm

Robert Fick is going to the Braves for 1 year, $1 million. He'll probably platoon at 1B with Julio Franco (at least that's what I think will happen) and could get some great RBI opportunities if he hits 5th or 6th behind the stars.

I think Fick's value just went up a few notches.

Michael.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Home Cafe: Baseball

That's the best news I heard all day!

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:44 pm

Especially if he matches his 2001 and 2002 stats!

woohoo!

GO BRAVES!!!

%-6
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Grenade Teeth » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:14 pm

Perhaps he is a little more valuable, but not much. Leaving Comerica can't hurt. The better lineup can't hurt. But he is still the hitter and Coors couldn't make him a top 15 1B-er. Unless the Braves plan on him catching, he is useless. A platoon (yes, I used the p word) player who hit .270, 17 HR, 63 RBI as a full time player last year? Ick.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:21 pm

My thoughts are that those numbers are a LOT better then what the braves had :

Franco brothers (not really ..Matt and Julio) combined for a whopping 12 homers at 1B last year. Throw in the prospect of Fick playing catcher on Javy's off days and you have a real nice pick up. Not much of fantasy value however.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:52 pm

I think it depends on the league. Since Fick has low value as an OF and practically no value as a 1B, you have to go to his catcher eligibility. I think CBS Sportsline leagues use 5 games this year or 20 games last year to determine eligibility. So, with some luck, he could pick up catcher eligibility early in the season in that kind of league. But if the Braves don't plan to play him at C, his fantasy value is nil.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:28 am

Well, I think Fick's value can't help but go up, and if he does qualify at catcher again in some leagues, it skyrockets. I wouldn't count on that to happen, though... Still, a change of scenery might be just the right thing for Fick. Keep in mind that he was once considered among the best power prospects in the minors. In all likelihood, he won't receive quite enough playing time to make a significant fantasy impact, but if he starts off hot, anything can happen (especially at 1b in Atlanta). Looks like an interesting sleeper, but wait until very late in the draft to pick him up...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:42 am

Draft? haha.. If you draft Fick then you must be desparate. I'd say he's worth a waiver wire bench spot at the most. Unless, like you said, he qualifies for Catcher later in the season.

B-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:46 am

Well, that depends on the league format... in a deep NL league, if my catching is looking iffy, then I'd be happy to pick Fick up for peanuts and stash him on my bench in the hope that he eventually qualifies there.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mkoss » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:52 am

That's what I'm thinking Arlo. My league is very deep...14 team NL only means you're picking up guys you've never heard of to fill roster spots. So Fick is a good guy and will be happy to pay $4-5 for him.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:59 am

I live in the Detroit area and have seen Fick play a lot. He should immediately be given the everyday job at first base for the Braves. He's far from the greatest defensive 1B in the league, but it's his offense that should far axceed other Braves 1B of the last couple of years. Forget his stats, playing for the Tigers in Comerica Park is death to pretty much any hitter (yes if you plugged Arod into the Tigers' crap lineup even he would see some sort of dropoff).
Fick has good power and a good feel for the strike zone. A season like .300 avg, 20+HR, 80+ RBI.
By the way, drafting him probably isn't a good idea. It is very doubtful that he will ever play very much at all as a catcher( he wasn't converted for nothing ) and will probably be stuck platooning with Julio Franco (isn't Franco like 60 years old?)
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers