wat do u think of Chacin is he the real deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

wat do u think of Chacin is he the real deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

wat do u think of Chacin is he the real deal

Postby sportsguy80 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Chacin has pitched amazing so far and being a jays fan im luvin it but is he that good or will he just fizzle out
sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Rirruto » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:26 pm

I'd also like people's opinion on this pitcher. I looked at his ESPN player page but he has no scouting report. Can anyone provided any insight on this guy?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Sweet, he's playing against the Yanks for his next start. That should be a nice test.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:36 pm

I don't think he'll be very good in the longrun. But his first run through the majors has been very successful. And he already faced the Yankees once in his career, and had some success aginst them going 7 IP and allowing 4 hits. Only with 2 K's though, which seems to be a trend with him. And not a good one. I wouldn't start him against NY this time around. See how he does and then start him against weaker teams.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:42 pm

over/under 10

"how good is Chacin" threads by the all-star break

:-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:49 pm

has anyone actually watched him pitch-for-pitch yet. his numbers make him out to be Greinke-like, but i don't know if that is really the case. what's his style? what are his pitches? is he good at keeping it low? good command? etcetcetc.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby stumpak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:50 pm

There was an extended thread on this earlier in the week. There were several compelling arguements that theorized that he will get blown up soon.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:07 pm

Rirruto wrote:Sweet, he's playing against the Yanks for his next start. That should be a nice test.

You'd think so, wouldn't ya.......... :-?
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:20 pm

I play in a 19-team league here, so I picked Chacin up on a flyer the day of his first start and he's been gravy the two starts since. B-) So I've been watching him closely all three starts. Personally, he's been great so far, but my hunch is that he'll start getting blown up before the season is out, maybe by the all-star break or so. He has a bit of a funky delivery, and I wonder if that's part of what's throwing batters off the first times teams see him. I never heard of Chacin as a rising star in the organization, he just kinda showed up last September and took everybody by surprise. He's definitely not a strikeout pitcher, more of a guy who finds a way to throw the right pitch at the right time, induce a lot of ground outs and pop ups. Pat Tabler (Jays commentator) really likes this guy, though, he became a convert the other night, said he was really good at having an idea what he was doing out there strategically, i.e. throwing exactly the pitch that a batter wouldn't be expecting in a given situation.
I wonder if Chacin is just one of those guys who comes up out of nowhere and blows guys away for a while, but then after teams see him a few times they start figuring him out and he gets tonged. Even if that's the case that might suggest leaning towards playing him early on while he's hot, before teams start figuring him out like that. I'm kinda leaning towards starting him against the Yanks on Thursday, for no other reason than I left Hampton on the bench last night and I don't like the idea of leaving another quality start on the bench, that was a quite disgusting experience. :-P :,-( I am still kicking myself for it today. (I personally think I hate wasting good starts more than dislike having a starter get tonged.) But the Yankees have seen Chacin before, so that will be quite interesting. On top of the fact that they're the Yankees and they usually own the Blue Jays at the Skydome. After that his next start is against the D-Rays, that will be another team seeing him for the second time, although the Rays don't scare me enough to stay away from him there. :-D
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Well he's certainly better than David Bush who was way over rated by some but yeah I'm sure with familiarity he will only be useful as a spot starter in 10-12 team leagues.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers