AJ Burnett's Strikeout Ratio at 5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AJ Burnett's Strikeout Ratio at 5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bud Light » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:46 am

Yoda wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
DK wrote:
matmat wrote:the reason he can finish games is that his K ratio has gone down -- decreases his pitch-counts. Believe it or not, but Ks are not the most efficient way to get people out.

Yes, it is.

It's three starts into the season. I wouldn't be worried about Burnett's K rate yet. It's most likely going to go up soon.

Effective yes.
Efficient no.

Look at the P/IP totals for last year.

Maddux, Lima, Pavano, Silva, D. Wells, Od. Perez, Lieber, Westbrook, Mulder and Hudson were the 10 most efficient SP last year. Maddux was the only one with a K/9 over 6. That's not to say you can't be a K pitcher and be efficient. RJ came in 11th.

Absolutely correct... If you are tossing a complete game with 100 pitches, then you are averaging 11-12 pitches per inning which is EXTREMELY efficient. The more K's, generally the higher the pitch count.

I think Burhle pitched a CG w/ about 106 pitches the other day, he struck out a career high 12. I'm not sure if this is the norm, but it seems to me if batters are putting the ball into play they have a much better chance of getting on base and making the pitcher throw to another batter.
Bud Light
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:26 am

I'm pretty sure Burnett will continue to be less of a K machine than in the past, though I do see his numbers rising some from where they are now. As a Burnett owner, though, I'll be content with 5-6 K's per game if he can stay in the rotation all year and win me 15-17 games with a nice ERA.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:26 am

thehat wrote:I'm pretty sure Burnett will continue to be less of a K machine than in the past, though I do see his numbers rising some from where they are now. As a Burnett owner, though, I'll be content with 5-6 K's per game if he can stay in the rotation all year and win me 15-17 games with a nice ERA.

I would do back flips ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:41 am

Bud Light wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
DK wrote:
matmat wrote:the reason he can finish games is that his K ratio has gone down -- decreases his pitch-counts. Believe it or not, but Ks are not the most efficient way to get people out.

Yes, it is.

It's three starts into the season. I wouldn't be worried about Burnett's K rate yet. It's most likely going to go up soon.

Effective yes.
Efficient no.

Look at the P/IP totals for last year.

Maddux, Lima, Pavano, Silva, D. Wells, Od. Perez, Lieber, Westbrook, Mulder and Hudson were the 10 most efficient SP last year. Maddux was the only one with a K/9 over 6. That's not to say you can't be a K pitcher and be efficient. RJ came in 11th.

Absolutely correct... If you are tossing a complete game with 100 pitches, then you are averaging 11-12 pitches per inning which is EXTREMELY efficient. The more K's, generally the higher the pitch count.

I think Burhle pitched a CG w/ about 106 pitches the other day, he struck out a career high 12. I'm not sure if this is the norm, but it seems to me if batters are putting the ball into play they have a much better chance of getting on base and making the pitcher throw to another batter.

If you can jam them on every contact or make them hit soft grounders on the first or 2nd pitch, or fly balls, you can get a real quick complete game. Thats how Buerhle usually does his complete games.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:46 am

I think the standard saying that you hear all of the time really applies here:

"He's stopped being a thrower and started becoming a pitcher."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:25 pm

Bad news: He's on pace for about 160K
Good news: He's on pace for 23 wins, 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.

I'd be fairly satisfied with those numbers. ;-D
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:28 pm

9er Fan wrote:Bad news: He's on pace for about 160K
Good news: He's on pace for 23 wins, 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.

I'd be fairly satisfied with those numbers. ;-D

I'm more than satisfied with those numbers. My league has a value-based scoring system, and Ks are worth something, but IP and QS are the main attraction. His low ERA and long innings are giving me plenty-o-points.

Very encouraging from the man I intend to make my franchise player when Bonds is gone.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers