AJ Burnett's Strikeout Ratio at 5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AJ Burnett's Strikeout Ratio at 5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
DK wrote:
matmat wrote:the reason he can finish games is that his K ratio has gone down -- decreases his pitch-counts. Believe it or not, but Ks are not the most efficient way to get people out.

Yes, it is.

It's three starts into the season. I wouldn't be worried about Burnett's K rate yet. It's most likely going to go up soon.

Effective yes.
Efficient no.

Look at the P/IP totals for last year.

Maddux, Lima, Pavano, Silva, D. Wells, Od. Perez, Lieber, Westbrook, Mulder and Hudson were the 10 most efficient SP last year. Maddux was the only one with a K/9 over 6. That's not to say you can't be a K pitcher and be efficient. RJ came in 11th.

Absolutely correct... If you are tossing a complete game with 100 pitches, then you are averaging 11-12 pitches per inning which is EXTREMELY efficient. The more K's, generally the higher the pitch count.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:04 pm

My league is 4X4 and doesn't count K's so I'm very pleased with the "new" AJ. I hope he keeps this up.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
DK wrote:
matmat wrote:the reason he can finish games is that his K ratio has gone down -- decreases his pitch-counts. Believe it or not, but Ks are not the most efficient way to get people out.

Yes, it is.

It's three starts into the season. I wouldn't be worried about Burnett's K rate yet. It's most likely going to go up soon.

Effective yes.
Efficient no.

Look at the P/IP totals for last year.

Maddux, Lima, Pavano, Silva, D. Wells, Od. Perez, Lieber, Westbrook, Mulder and Hudson were the 10 most efficient SP last year. Maddux was the only one with a K/9 over 6. That's not to say you can't be a K pitcher and be efficient. RJ came in 11th.

I suppose you're right, to a fault. However, I'd rather have a good pitcher in for 16 pitches/inning than a mediocre one for 12 pitches/inning. Except for Hudson and maybe Odalis Perez, all of those pitchers are either old (Maddux, Lima, Wells), were lucky last year (Pavano, Silva, Westbrook), have HUGE GB/FB rates (Lieber) or stunk up the house at the tail end last year (Mulder).

I'm not huge on pitch counts, although they do get important after... say... 100-110 pitches. For the most part, however, a pitcher will pitch as his talent level dictates.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Q » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:57 pm

I'd give him more time but it is starting to worry me. I understand when hit percentages, home run rates or even walk rates are unusual after a few starts by strikeout rates are more consistent. The good thing is that his control is better and if the strikeouts do start to come he could be dominate. But beware of the Barry Zito affect, where he struck out a lot in his first two years and then became a finesse pitcher and was terrible after that (no I do not think that Zito was a good pitcher even when he won the cy young or the year after, he was incredibly lucky those years with defensive dependent pitching stats).
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:00 pm

Q wrote:I'd give him more time but it is starting to worry me. I understand when hit percentages, home run rates or even walk rates are unusual after a few starts by strikeout rates are more consistent. The good thing is that his control is better and if the strikeouts do start to come he could be dominate. But beware of the Barry Zito affect, where he struck out a lot in his first two years and then became a finesse pitcher and was terrible after that (no I do not think that Zito was a good pitcher even when he won the cy young or the year after, he was incredibly lucky those years with defensive dependent pitching stats).

Do not worry about AJ Burnett. He is pitching better than he ever has, and despite the "decline" in K's, he is doing what he needs to do to get the outs.

He is getting hit less - not harder.

So far he has been something of a Tim Hudson - very efficient pitch totals, not so many K's. In the end, I think he will finish respectably in strikeouts and if he manages to pitch 200 innings he will probably fan 160.

Again, don't worry. If you had seen him pitch, you wouldn't be worried. His stuff is filthy.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby matmat » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:02 pm

why is it worrying you?
his walk rate is also way lower than it was last year. is this worrying you?

K/BB is better this year than it was last.
of course all of this might change... but come on... you are complaining because he is taking 100 pitches to finish games and not get overworked?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:17 pm

I think people need to calm down. It's only 2 weeks, 3 starts. He just pitched a back to back shut out against division rivals and two of the toughest teams in the league. You should be happy that he is finially learning how to pitch.

A good pitcher does not try to overpower hitters with every pitch, every batter, every game. He started to finally come around last year and he seems to be on his way to an awesome season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:22 pm

I wouldn't dream of comparing Zito and AJ. Zito tops out at 89 MPH, AJ tops out at 100. When you throw 97 MPH with minimal effort, the strikeouts will come. AJ is a better pitcher this year than ever before, and the K #'s will settle in at about 7.5-8 per nine innings before the year's over.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:13 am

I fully agree that the strikeouts will come.

Personally, I love the new and improved (or is it constantly improving?) A.J.

I lef the draft feeling I was in very good position to win the Wins, ERA and place very high in the striokeouts categories. My lone projected "weak" category was....you guessed it....WHIP.

So this has me thrilled, because I think as he continues to learn how to pitch and not just throw hard he'll keep his WHIP and ERA low and as he faces lesser oppenents his K-rate will go up.

I am just giddy.

My starting staff in a 5x5 traditional roto league (12 teams):

Santana: 3 Wins, 27 K's, 4.00 ERA, 1.111 WHIP
Burnett: 2 Wins, 14 K's, 2.25 ERA, 1.000 WHIP
C. Zambrano: 1 Win, 19 K's, 4.00 ERA, 1.222 WHIP
B. Webb: 2 Wins, 6 K's, 2.70 ERA, 1.350 WHIP (prior to tonights game)
Ja. Wright: 1 Win, 6 K's, 8.00 ERA, 2.111 WHIP (prior to tonights ugly win).

What are people's thoughts on Wright? Should I be looking at other options on the free agent wire? Not planning on dumping him just yet.....but if he keeps this up....YIKES! :-o

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:20 am

I'll take 8 CGs over 250 Ks. B-)

That's cuz my league counts CGs though... :-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers