The David Wright experience - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The David Wright experience

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The David Wright experience

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:17 pm

when do I cut it loose and try and trade him?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:26 pm

I don't think now is the time to trade him, not when his value is low.
I think he'll be good, but I thought he could struggle a bit, so I picked up Lowell as insurance. Well, that isn't working out so well either. :~(
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:42 pm

This year is proving out the adage that rookies or near rookies can just kill you and you should never rely on them. Wright, Morneau, Bay and others. May be fine in the long run, but gambling on them in a draft is not a wise bet generally.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Lesson learned. Are there any Mets fan's out there that can give me some glimmer of hope?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:00 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:This year is proving out the adage that rookies or near rookies can just kill you and you should never rely on them. Wright, Morneau, Bay and others. May be fine in the long run, but gambling on them in a draft is not a wise bet generally.

what about last year, M Cabs, Blalock, Big Tex ????

they will be fine just struggling, gotta be patient, of course their is always a chance for a sophomore slump
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:03 pm

Half of the part timers from last year will work out, half won't. Its really just a guessing game which is why you always have to slightly devalue rookie players in the draft.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:04 pm

People start out slow. I wouldnt say that David Wright should be traded. The guy is having a problem, but look at Scott Rolen...do you want to trade him? He has been a slow starter as well and no one seems to be bringing up his name. Stick with Wright, I dont see you being disappointed.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:13 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:Lesson learned. Are there any Mets fan's out there that can give me some glimmer of hope?

Wright just needs to make second year adjustments. It's still very early so some of it can just be attributed to bad luck and a small sample size. I've watched all his games so far and he seems to be getting exposed a little inside where he's having trouble turning on pitches. Despite the fact that he went 0-2, yesterday was a great game for Wright at the plate and he looked like he was starting to adapt to how they were working him. He had some really great battles against Burnett.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:30 pm

Long-term, Wright will be golden.

Hang in there. ;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:07 pm

From the times I've seen him bat, he doesn't look to be overmatched. He does have 9 K in 37 AB (which is a little higher than his career), but, otherwise, he's taking walks, has an isolated slugging above .200, and generally showing similar traits to last year.

I think he'll be fine. Just small sample size right now. Make a little bit better contact and the hits will drop and the average will rise. Maybe he's just pressing a little right now after hitting into 2 DPs the first game. That will change.

He may be young, but the better players still seem to play pretty well out of the gate. He's been compared to Rolen, and Rolen went .283-21-92-16 his first full season - numbers I wouldn't be surprised to see for Wright at the end of the year.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers